Bought my 1st wood insert! Install questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddypd

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2012
Long Island NY
Just put a deposit on my first wood insert! Fireplace Extrodinair Large Flush Hybrid. Cant wait, but had some install questions.

I have read here the importance in putting insulation at the damper just above the insert. My installer said he usually only insulates at the top of the chimney but would insulate at the bottom of the liner if I'd like. What type of insulation is used there? Is it just regular unfaced fiberglass? I want to have some on hand in case he does not have enough.

He also said that I should have a 3' length of BX cable in the firebox so he could hardwire the insert if I didn't want to see the cord on the outside. Is this the preferred way or should I install an electrical outlet in the firebox area? I bought some conduit today at the local big box store and the salesman told me there is a new code now that requires some kind of disconnect like a switch or plug?

Lastly, any thoughts on Green Start? It looks pretty nice especially for a beginner like me and a wife that is afraid of smoke in the house. It is an expensive option...$360.

Thanks in advance.....and yes I am way behind, I don't have any firewood yet and it is late in the season. That is this weeks project!

You probably won't find much feedback on the use of the Green Start option since it is so new. That being said you could buy a lot of Super Cedars for $360. You might ask your installer how hard it is to add the Green Start option later if you didn't purchase it now. Many Travis products produced after Summer 2010 can be retrofitted with GreenStart. I missed the cutoff by a couple months. It is an option that may be beneficial to new wood burners though.

Wow, $360 is an expensive option to have just to start a fire.

For the insulation use mineral wool insulation. I understand that Lowe's has started stocking Roxul though I have not checked locally. The (correction: guy at the box store) is right. Electrical codes in most places now call for cord connected appliances to have a plug in the living space where the appliance is operated. So the plug can be pulled should something go wrong.

For the insulation use mineral wool insulation. I understand that Lowe's has started stocking Roxul though I have not checked locally. The installer is right. Electrical codes in most places now call for cord connected appliances to have a plug in the living space where the appliance is operated. So the plug can be pulled should something go wrong.

Agree with BB, go to Lowes and get the Roxul, they all seem to stock it now, probably due to so many HDC members looking for it :)

"The (correction: guy at the box store) is right. Electrical codes in most places now call for cord connected appliances to have a plug in the living space where the appliance is operated. So the plug can be pulled should something go wrong."

I don't want to see the cord in the living area. Hardwired directly to basement outlet is no good and outlet mounted on inner wall of fire box is also no good? Whats my other choice for hidden power cord? I am sure a switch on the wall in the living area interrupting that circuit would be good, but very difficult to run.

Running that switch might not be as hard as you think. It would be worth getting an estimate for this. I don't think it would take more than an hour or two unless there are major complications.

"The (correction: guy at the box store) is right. Electrical codes in most places now call for cord connected appliances to have a plug in the living space where the appliance is operated. So the plug can be pulled should something go wrong."

I don't want to see the cord in the living area. Hardwired directly to basement outlet is no good and outlet mounted on inner wall of fire box is also no good? Whats my other choice for hidden power cord? I am sure a switch on the wall in the living area interrupting that circuit would be good, but very difficult to run.

You can run power to a switch in your basement, run bx cable from there to a junction box mounted to the floor of the fireplace, behind your insert. Whether or not that will meet the local codes will be up to the guy enforcing them.

Hey Freddy - did your FPX large flush insert arrive yet? I am considering the same one but would like see a picture or get the measurements of the actual firebox. Did you go with the shadowbox front?

I was told it was backordered and would take another 2 weeks. I will take photos during the install. I went with the metro front. Still trying to decide about the green start option. I am leaning towards getting it.

I am considering this insert as well and would really like your thoughts on it and the greenstart option. Did you get it installed yet? Thanks!

Can't comment on the performance green start but as a new owner of an insert, it's pretty easy to keep the fire going. As long as you have some coals left it starts right up. Also I got a free sample of the Super Cedars from the other thread on here and they work great. You only need 1/4 or even 1/6 of one to get a fire going. At $0.60 each it would take a lot of Super Cedars to equal the cost of the green start option.

Can't comment on the performance green start but as a new owner of an insert, it's pretty easy to keep the fire going. As long as you have some coals left it starts right up. Also I got a free sample of the Super Cedars from the other thread on here and they work great. You only need 1/4 or even 1/6 of one to get a fire going. At $0.60 each it would take a lot of Super Cedars to equal the cost of the green start option.
I bought a big box of super cedars two years ago and still have 3/4's of the box left, you only need a few for shoulder seasons, my stove is running now and probably wont stop til March.

Well said. I did not get the green start option. I am a beginner still and have found the insert pretty easy to get going from a cold start or a few coals.

In the morning I usually have some coals. I know most people rake them forward, but I rake them to the middle. I put one small split in the back and one small split in the front running east west...left to right. I put dried twigs in the middle on top of the coals and they usually take off. I do leave the air wide open (pushed in) and the door open for about 10 minutes. Today I was in a hurry so I used my small plumbers torch to light the ends of the twigs.

From a cold start I do the same layout but take about 4 pieces of newspaper and lay that on top of the twigs. I light that and lay 2 larger splits on top. That works well for me. I think the super cedars are great, but have not had the need to use them. I will buy a small batch in case my wife needs to start the fire from scratch. She is getting very good at keeping it going during the day, but has not done a cold start yet.

I am considering this insert as well and would really like your thoughts on it and the greenstart option. Did you get it installed yet? Thanks!

It was installed. You can see the install in the link in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.