Bought some wood ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
So I was lazy and opportunities didn't present themselves this year and thus I found that I'm behind on collecting. Decided to give buying wood. Posted a CL ad asking for 3 cords with details on what I expect a cord to be...

First load was delivered yesterday (was supposed to be a cord). Stacked and measured out to be about .87 cords so a bit short. I called and the seller was very nice about it and assured me they would make it up. Today they brought the next 2 cords (was supposed to be Saturday, early better than late?). I haven't had time to stack yet so I don't know if it is right. I received a call this evening from the seller confirming the delivery and assuring me that they'd like to hear back once I stack so that they can make up the difference if still short.

Now I'm feeling rather encouraged really - it seems they want to do it right. The wood in first load had some long pieces (I asked for 18-21 inch range) but much was considerably shorter. I asked for longer pieces in this load and it looks like I may have gotten them.

Wood is mostly oak and a few bits of mystery wood (some of it rather light) mixed in. Overall I think I'm happy with the delivery.

Assuming they do make up for any shortage I just might have found an honest/good seller here! Amazing eh?

Oh - and I paid $160/cord which I think is a fair/good price around here.

Just sharing my experience. Hopefully I can get it stacked and photographed this weekend.

Sounds like you found a good seller - most won't be checking back to see if you are happy! Any idea yet whether the wood is dry (you are using it this year, right?)? Seems like a really great price for eastern MA for sure! Cheers!

If you have to buy anything, nothing better than to know your money is going to good folks.

Fingers crossed it will be a good relationship for you.

Slow1, sounds like you've found a decent person to spend your hard-earned money on. Honesty, IMO, is worth extra nowadays, because so many people out there are in it for nothing more than money. The way I do business is I treat people fairly, and when I do a tree job, I leave the place looking better than it did before I started the job.....you wouldn't believe the return/new business I get by running my show that way....

Honesty and integrity......good to hear you've found a dealer who seems to have both.....

Slow1, sounds like you've found a decent person to spend your hard-earned money on. Honesty, IMO, is worth extra nowadays, because so many people out there are in it for nothing more than money. The way I do business is I treat people fairly, and when I do a tree job, I leave the place looking better than it did before I started the job.....you wouldn't believe the return/new business I get by running my show that way....

Honesty and integrity......good to hear you've found a dealer who seems to have both.....

That's the ticket - my Dad told me something similar about borrowing tools - always return them in better condition than you borrowed them - teaching my kids the same principle now. I'm not surprised you are doing so well treating folks the way you do Scotty! Good work! Cheers!

You did pretty good slow1. A cord around southeast PA is 250.00. From what I hear its never a cord.
Good luck catching up. Hope you got good seasoned wood.

There's a lot of good sellers in Mass, there's a lot of competition so if your not honest you wont be in business long around here.

Near Washington DC a cord of seasoned wood is usually about $220-250 a cord. I think you did well. I found one guy who sells form his pickup truck for $160, but its nowhere near a full cord--I measured it and it was more like 7/10 of a cord.

Scott, you make me think there is still hope for us. Great that you pride yourself on honesty and integrity. Also, I know you'll be passing those values on to your kids.

Reactions: clemsonfor
Slow1, that's a great buy, and a company that should lead to a long relationship. Nice to find a business that values their customers.

You did pretty good slow1. A cord around southeast PA is 250.00. From what I hear its never a cord.
Good luck catching up. Hope you got good seasoned wood.
$250 per delivered cord here in CT too. The guy I get it from always on the over rather than under side, so I'm happy with him.

This is the 1st year I started gathering and splitting my own, so I'm thrilled to be buying less from him though!

Reactions: Paulywalnut
That seems like a good deal, Slow1. Around here, c/s/d mostly Oak is 165 last time I checked.
Hang on to that one if he makes it right at the end.
There still are some good folks, it's why I keep coming back here.:cool:

$250 per delivered cord here in CT too. The guy I get it from always on the over rather than under side, so I'm happy with him.

This is the 1st year I started gathering and splitting my own, so I'm thrilled to be buying less from him though!
Keep up the good work. Eventually you'll be self sufficient and you won't need"no stinking delivery man".;)

Reactions: BillLion
Sounds like you found a good seller - most won't be checking back to see if you are happy! Any idea yet whether the wood is dry (you are using it this year, right?)? Seems like a really great price for eastern MA for sure! Cheers!

I got myself up to 3 winter's supply two years ago - now I'm just trying to keep it so I've decided that by this time of year I need to replace whatever volume I burned the previous year. If I don't gather it during the off season then I'll just buy green to stack. I had about 9 cords stacked prior to this so enough for at least two winters and a bit more so this new wood will have at least 2 summers to dry prior to burning - with this I now have 12 cords and that should be 3-4 winters (assuming 3-4 cords/year).

It appears to be mostly red oak and freshly split - smells great out there! Will be stacking tomorrow and see just how much there is, looking forward to it.

And yes - I agree that if they make good on this I will be calling them first next year if needed. Even though there may be competition around here, most folks I have talked to have had a hard time finding sellers who appreciate just what a cord of wood is.

The wood I had gotten this year was advertised as being 4'x4'x8' cords for $200 ea. They were indeed that size when stacked. Fortunately, he advertises in a local publication. I've seen CL ads that state they deliver a 4'x6'x8' cord. Well, that isn't a cord by any definition. And for someone to give more than a cord seems suspicious. Why not charge less and give a standard size cord? I think that buyers who buy for fireplace use do not burn daily for heat. There are a lot of those in my ocunty, and the surrounding ones. Many don't understand,nor care, about the cord measurement, they just see a pile of wood and say, yeah, that'll get me through the winter. It'll give us enough romantic fires on chilly nights. They also have no idea of seasoning, either. But that is another discussion.

This site does a great deal to educate buyers as to what they should expect for their money. This is the only way to compare legitimately, one dealer to another. A standard 4'x4'x8' cord is the way to purchase firewood. Ask the dealer if that is what they sell, and let them know you will hold them to that amount when you stack it. Complain if it is a short load, and give them an honest effort opportunity to make it right, if it is short. If they don't, then you know they are dishonest, and it would be wise to spread the word about that dealer. There are few recourses in the law you can use to keep from getting ripped off. Cord wood is not a metered delivery, like oil or gas. It is our own due diligence that will make the scammers honest, or will drive them out of business. I don't like getting ripped off, and would also like others not to be scammed as well.

It may take years before you find an honest dealer who cares about quality, quantity, and customer sarisfaction. Once you've found a dealer who you can work with, keep with them, and let them and others know you are satisfied.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hey Slow1, good to see you on the forum again. Hope all is well with you and your wonderful family. The only concern I'd have with the wood is that it is red oak and we all know what it is like drying that stuff, especially in your area. We wish you well and my wife said to say Hi to all the family too.

Status
Not open for further replies.