Bourbon, on the rocks with a splash of....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
...and others groan at me for wasting money on cheap beer.

as my grandson says,

"whatever"
You know, I used to detest Coors light and PBR, and only drank craft beers, mostly hefes. Now that I'm older I really enjoy a nice Coors at the end of a hard day.

You just gotta poke that bear, eh? ;lol

Last night was Basil Hayden's bourbon, on the rocks. A surprisingly good distillation, for the price.

I haven't had a bourbon worth drinking neat since I lived in NC five years ago. Most cocktails, such as an old fashioned, became popular during prohibition because most available booze was basically "white lightning" and didn't have any good flavor. I do like an old fashioned with Makers, but that's about the point I start preferring them on the rocks, or neat for the good stuff. A nice old peaty scotch neat is one of my favorites. Maybe a splash of water if I'm feeling froggy.

I'm also a big fan of dirty martinis, but hate the stupid glasses they come in. It's a good way to make some Absolut (or whatever) into something palatable. I am a bit sacrilegious and hate gin. Even the smell of gin makes my stomach turn. I can't fathom how people can drink it in anything other than cocktails with sweet syrups.

...and others groan at me for wasting money on cheap beer.

as my grandson says,

"whatever"
A "good" lawnmower beer has its place, too. Such as a palate cleanser between bourbon sips. 😏 Good ol' PBR actually has a little flavor, amongst that genre. When I get up there, I need to score some Old Style and see if it's as I remember. But I'm an old man now, and my memory is just a memory at this point. 😆

we could say God "meant" for our corn or tomatoes to be eaten the way they came out of the earth, but each tastes better with a bit of added salt.
I'm not sure how good that analogy is. As Americans, salt is one of the three basic food groups that we build our nutrition pyramid on--Salt, Fat and Sugar. ==c