'Bout to get reeeaaaaal cold, who's ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind a getting use to it in this area. Monday looks to be the coldest day I've seen in some time with a high of -13 and low of -25!

We are so very thankful for that big pond between us. It does tend to moderate the temperatures and that is good.

Sad, but I fear you are right Todd.

Joful and Jharkin: don't worry....where I live we can get snow in April. And considering I only started burning in mid-November and have currently burned 1/3 of my stash it may be a cold month of March/April inside our house..Ha!

My FIL can't keep his house warm with his stove. It is too small and it eats wood (dragon). The problem is that he has an electric/oil furnace. It was a deal with our utility company: anything warmer than -13C and pay $0.05/KWh. Anything colder and pay $0.21/KWh. So the furnace switches to oil at -13C. BUT he disconnected the chimney and hooked up his wood stove.

On another note, my neighbor called me today asking for 40 pieces of wood. :( Her son was going back home and he has a fireplace in his apartment. 5 less fires for me this winter ;) I hope Eco Bricks go on sale soon..She told me to let her know what she owed me and I couldn't charge the lady. It's the coldest day of the year and her son wants some ambiance in his apartment...

This weather is where the old smoke dragon furnace would eat and smile.

Yessir, the old Hotblast would make a ton of heat. If I didn't get up in the middle of the night, I would wake up to a 60° house. That thing would get it back up to 70ish in an hour or so, in subzero weather. I still have it, with the ductwork disconnected. Weather like this, I'll burn a good load in it to warm up the basement. Takes some load off the stove, and feels good on the tootsies.

I hope you don't mean you split that wood today........

Then I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of that will be dry enough to burn decent... If at all. Where I live splits that big would take 3 years + to be burnable.

It's 75 in and 10 out, supposed to head to below 0 but with the giant heat sink in the yard (the lake) we might manage to stay a bit warmer. The republic has about all it can handle in this weather since we haven't finished weatherizing yet. The VF has kicked on some. Burning pine/box elder right now and will have to get up some time tonight to reload with this type wood, which is basically it for what we've got available. Might think about buying some hardwood for the future.

12-18" coming tonight in whiteout conditions. Worst overnight, may need to stay awake late to feed the stoves. High of 9 tomorrow, that's cold for SE Mass.

It's here.

Both stoves cranking.

Reactions: PapaDave and Ashful
HA ha. No no no. It's already 2-3 years old. It's the stuff I am burning this winter.

No chef not you. I was responding to another poster who put up a picture of fresh split wood. But then he deleted two posts so now it reads like i was talking to myself :oops:

I don't know what you folks are complaining about. I just looked out the front door to what might be the most picturesque of scenes I've seen in the few years I've been living here. It's coming down good (we're probably at 4" right now, scheduled to continue thru 9am), but I can still see the lamp post at the end of my driveway, 350 feet away. There's a nice 3" layer of white fluff atop every bush, with the Christmas lights shining thru. I'm tempted to head out and take some pictures, if I weren't already in my PJ's and babysitting two just-loaded stoves.

Okay... here's one from a similar night last year.

PC290037.JPG

Not complaining here... -1F outside and 74f inside with a full load of locust in the stove and a roaring fire in the den fireplace :) No work til Monday, I was hoping for moe snow!

Crazy cold winter so far. Just took the pup for a quick walk down to the shore. Million stars, you can hear a pin drop, and closing on -28 C. 3 layers of ice mounds along the shore, farther out the bays are frozen over / snow covered as far as the eye can see. It's been years since the waters in front of my place have frozen over by new years day. Stove is eating big yellow birch knots and uglies tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.