Box Elder with Rot - Fungus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Anduril

Sep 29, 2013
I scrounged some Box Elder from a neighbor who had a large trunk section break off in a storm, and the heartwood has some serious rot, along with a white residue, which has the look of a fungus. (photo attached) Any of you seen this before? I am guessing heart rot. Mainly I don't want it to spread to my healthy trees. I know Box Elder isn't the best of trees to burn, but hey, it's free and it's shoulder season. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20181110_124854.jpg
    20181110_124854.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 176
I burn wood with mushrooms and fungus off all colors if its dry.

Reactions: Anduril
Burn it.

I would burn it. Box elder likes to mold faster than some. Stack it dry and it will be fine. Let it sit on the ground or stay wet too long and black mold will set in and it will stink when burned.

I hate getting smoked by moldy box elder when loading the outdoor furnace. It is one wood you better not leave in rounds too long.