Boxelder....might as well be pine!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
Unfortunately for me we haven't had much of a shoulder season here in West Michigan. It seems we went straight from highs in the mid 60's to highs in the mid teens.

I have a bunch of boxelder, two years seasoned, which I had planned to burn up during the shoulder season this year. Well I'm failing miserably using this stuff when I need real heat. I may have to start mixing it with some decent wood since our cold snap looks like it will persist. I got up this morning with tanks at 156 top to bottom after 2 loads of boxelder last night. If that were two loads of black cherry I would have had well over 170 on the tanks.

I feel like such a wood snob. I refuse all softwoods and now boxelder may end up on my "not worth the work" list.

That sort of surprises me, I thought it would have given off a lot of heat for a very short period of time.

Nothing wrong with being a wood snob. You know what works for you.

I'm not a big fan of pine but I use it in mixtures of other hardwoods in the shoulder season.

... and I burn just about only pine. Love it.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
Boxelder does suck. I am waging a war against them on my property. they are falling faster than I can cut them down, and most of the stuff is too junky to deal with. The few solid pieces that I can get out of them I will stack and burn it, but it does go quick.

Pretty much anything that isn't punky goes into my stacks.

That said, only good hardwood is worth much travel, softwoods close to home are generally fair game.

TS

I've decided the only good news about this stuff is that it seems to light off very easily compared to other woods. A well seasoned piece of boxelder is practically a duraflame log. But alas, it still stinks in terms of bang for my stacked buck.

I'm off to light the fire and burn as much of this stuff as I can this weekend. It's perfect for the days I spend working in the basement on projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.