1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Boxing in my new chimney

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Norsk, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norsk

Norsk New Member

Loc:
    Central, MN
    I installed a regency stove in our lower level and used Metalbestos pipe to go up through the next level. This is our first wood stove. Can I place vents in the boxed in area? It is dry walled with fire grade drywall. I don't know if placing a vent on the box will offer warmth or would create a problem. The inspector did not know.

Also, I'm over 2 inches away from the framing, although in two to spots I'm under 3 inches. Can anyone speak to what type of safety testing is done on these pipes? Just wondering if I can I sleep at night.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, you can vent the chase. It will probably be most effective if you put a vent at the top and bottom to assist convection. The class A pipe is safely tested at 2" clearances, though no harm exceeding the minimums. Have a good night's sleep.
  3. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    While I cannot tell you exactly what "safety testing" is done, I can tell you I hang with several mechanical and materials engineers, as well as a couple civil, and I am positive, if the manufacturer and .gov has come up with "2 inches is safe" you can bet the true safe value is at least 1/4 of that, or in this case 1/2 inch. As long as you meet the minimum (2") everywhere, you are, as they say, golden.
  4. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    with my stove blazing on a full load, I can go up in my attic were the chase is open and touch the pipe with my hand and it's cool to the touch. Amazing. My chase has all the appropriate clearances. I should probably close in the attic side too, but the inspector did not require it - so it's still open. I feel very safe with my set up. My chase is insulated on the house wall side only and I worried that the flue temps might be too hot for the insulation or what if the insulation fell loose and against the flue. But I don't worry after feeling the pipe for myself. It is amazing. You may find that venting the chase doesn't do much. Warm up and sleep well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.