brand new haman p38 wont start- Pipe not attached.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slp0

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2008
western mass
Hi, I just got a harmon p38 and when I went to light it for the forth time it would not start. Before I call my dealer and sound like an idiot I thought I would post my problem here hoping someone would point out where I am failing.
Ok, the first two burns were no problem, the third time I lit it took a couple of tries, once started I turned it up to 4 to heat up the house. The flames got larger than ever before (it looked like a fire place fire or a "lazy fire") so I turned it down to 2 thinking it just had to much fuel. It went out right away and smoke poured out of the blower *cough*. So the next day (today) i tried again and got a "lazy" fire that went out, three times. So I got out my manual and learned very little, then I found this board and crawled around for an hour. I decided that I needed to clean the unit, although brand new, if for no other reason than to learn where everything is. So I did that, cleaned out my hopper to look for a jam- uh, I couldnt move move it, but it didnt appear clogged up. Then I inspected the whole stove while looking at the instruction manual and I found the air intake pipe (the flexible one) was not connected to the stove, but I could not get it to reach the stove. I was afraid to "force" it- should this flex pipe be "loose"?
( I have been mixing gel with pellets before putting in stove, as I read somewhere on this site.)
Any ideas?
Thank you, Sandy

slp0 said:
Hi, I just got a harmon p38 and when I went to light it for the forth time it would not start. Before I call my dealer and sound like an idiot I thought I would post my problem here hoping someone would point out where I am failing.
Ok, the first two burns were no problem, the third time I lit it took a couple of tries, once started I turned it up to 4 to heat up the house. The flames got larger than ever before (it looked like a fire place fire or a "lazy fire") so I turned it down to 2 thinking it just had to much fuel. It went out right away and smoke poured out of the blower *cough*. So the next day (today) i tried again and got a "lazy" fire that went out, three times. So I got out my manual and learned very little, then I found this board and crawled around for an hour. I decided that I needed to clean the unit, although brand new, if for no other reason than to learn where everything is. So I did that, cleaned out my hopper to look for a jam- uh, I couldnt move move it, but it didnt appear clogged up. Then I inspected the whole stove while looking at the instruction manual and I found the air intake pipe (the flexible one) was not connected to the stove, but I could not get it to reach the stove. I was afraid to "force" it- should this flex pipe be "loose"?
( I have been mixing gel with pellets before putting in stove, as I read somewhere on this site.)
Any ideas?
Thank you, Sandy

If the dealer installed it, don't worry about sounding like an idiot. Call him tell him to fix it, you paid for the install. If it's self installed, plenty of Harman guys will jump in. My thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.