Break in fire needed for 2nd year castine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Having our first fire right now, but getting that smell from when we first broke it in last fall. Is this normal? Should we have broken it in again? Please advise.

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-10-03 at 19.11 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-10-03 at 19.11 #2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 191
My own take on doing break in fires on the second year is that they can't hurt things . . . and I suspect having a short, lower-heat fire to drive out any possible moisture in the stove cement would help . . . but I also suspect that the type of fires we tend to do this time of year during the shoulder season -- namely partial loads of "junk" (i.e. lower BTU) wood would have a similar effect.

The first fire or two of every season is going to smell a bit because of dust or ghosts or whatever burning off...

I never do break in fires like when new...

I agree about the dust burning off. It seems no matter how clean you keep it you will still get this on the first fire of the season. It should not persist though.

Oops . . . I missed the really important question . . . yeah . . . like others have said . . . that's most likely the dust burning off that you're smelling . . . completely normal . . . and it should go away after the first burn or two.

No break in fire is required for the second year of the stove. It was fully cured after the very first few fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.