Break`in it in-an all day task?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Hey guys: finally got the confirm on install for my enviro kodiak. Monday 10:30 a.m.--Ya, so there it sits on the back of my pickup all weekend :down: oh,well.

Am I correct in thinking 2hrs small fire, then 3 hours medium fire, then load it up and let it rip for 4 or 5 hours? After the install it means I would be finished the burn-in around midnite. Am thinking temps of 350, then 500, then 750 then done? Seem about right to you guys? Not sure yet if I can place the mag.thermomoter on the front or on the top? Won`t know about that until after the install. No stack temps possible, insert is enclosed.. No way to get a therm on the liner.

I`m not concerned about the lower temps, but the last burn and the higher temp if my therm is mounted on the door like it is now, should I be happy turning it down when it reads 650? Cause I`m thinking that 650 front mounted would be like 750 on stove top?

Some thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated before you`all get out the gardening tools and abandon us "wood heat junkies". Actually with 5/16 steel on top I`m not concerned about high temps-- %-P long as I don`t get a "runaway"--!!

Fill that sucker up and let it rip. Softwood. Top plate a sheet of notebook paper thicker than the 1/4" ones. EPA un-controllable secondary air stove. No problem. %-P

All steel melts at the same temp, no matter the thickness. :lol:

Have fun. :coolgrin:

Hey BB: good to hear from you,actually mentioned you in the ash can just moments ago. :coolsmile:

But seriously, thought I read on one of the threads, that might not be good for the paint,finish, or whatever to just open it up right away? You have tonnes of experience and even rebuild lots of the old relic`s. You really think to just let it rip won`t be harmful in any way?? ;-P Except as you stated previously that I shouldn`t buy one cause it will burn my house down.--ha,ha.

ps: have a look in the ash can--we are resurrecting and stealing your best generals :cheese:

Another damn canuck conspiracy huh?

I was cautious. I let it cool down between burns and completed the break-in over two days.

Mine stunk. But no odors after that second day.

While it's sitting outside, stick a pipe in it and start her up. Break her in outside and invite the neighbors around to enjoy the new patio stove.

Just be sure to cover it up before Monday. Sounds like there's more rain coming.

BeGreen said:
While it's sitting outside, stick a pipe in it and start her up. Break her in outside and invite the neighbors around to enjoy the new patio stove.

But take it out of the back of the pickup first. The guy with the 13-NC got away with the "trailer burn" but it didn't have a gas tank.

Gotta watch out for these old Canucks with new toys ya know. That strong beer and a new stove could be dangerous. ;-)

Oh yeah, I've been to that neck of the woods. That's why I said "patio stove". Molsons and Kodiaks can be a firey enough mix. Molsons, Fords and Kodiaks can be a meltdown. :bug:

Whats your manual say about break-in fires? Since it's steel, I would do one medium fire, let it cool down completely, check everything out and then let her rip. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.