Breaking in my new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andropolis

Nov 21, 2006
Had my new Napoleon 1401 insert installed yesterday.

I began breaking it in with a very small fire of just paper and small kindling and keeping that small fire going for about two hours. I very gradually beefed up the intensity over a course of 4 hours. I'm just hoping that I didn't have too hot a fire for a 'first fire'. I have to pick up a stove thermometer tonight... but anyway... none of the bricks are cracked and everything seems well..

Is there any way to know if I overdid it? I was just dyin to have a roaring one but I didn't go that far. I did get a nice bed of coals though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

p.s. love the stove

there could be a fair amount of moisture present in the concrete bricks that has to be treated slowly or you will have more than just one cracked brick

Easy does it for alteast the first 3 fires

The stove thermometer is the way to go buy one for the vent too. Read the owners manual on brake in fires. Once the stove stops smelling of hot paint they are about ready to really go. Back off on the fire for a while now, don't over fire!! that's when bad things happen. Did you get the CO detectors , fire extinguishers, and smoke detectors all ready, checked and installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.