Breaking in Super Classic LE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moxy

Jan 14, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
First fire in Stove Sept 2023. No more Resolute 1977.

A few questions

1 How much Wood is a full load? Half way or filled to the top?
2 Does the whole load burn or just the bottom? remember I only know VC
3 If i jam it full of wood and close air will it smoke and create creosote problem?

Is there anything else I should know?

Many Thanks
Sandy

Until the weather gets cold, 4 splits will probably be sufficient heat. When it gets colder a full load is justified. Load N/S and keep the top of the load about 2 " below the baffle. The load will burn according to how it is started. A top-down lit fire tends to burn more evenly, but it all catches fire regardless.

The stove will run quite differently from the old Resolute. Modern stoves are designed to prevent wood smoldering. After the fire is burning well and the flue gases get around 500-600º start turning down the air about 50% or until the flames get lazy. Wait 5-10 minutes for the flames to regain strength, then turn down the air 50% more. As the air is turned down, the draft will pull more air through the baffle to fire off the secondary gases. If necessary, turn down the air some more to keep the flames lazy and the secondaries billowing. This is a great light show.

A flue thermometer is highly recommended to know how the fire is burning. Is there single-wall or double-wall stove pipe on the Super?

This thread should be helpful.