1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Breaking in the 1900P

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by trog04, Nov 12, 2012.

1. trog04

trog04 New Member

Loc:
    Front Range Colorado
    So I have the final county inspection tomorrow, and then I'll be good to fire it up!! (no Colorado pot jokes ;))
    My question is about the break in fires. I read in the manual that the first 2 or 3 fires should be small hot fires that only use kindling to cure the fire brick. How much kindling is recommended? it has a 3.0cu/ft box, and I could cram a ton in there. I know that's not the way to do it, but just looking for a rough guide as to how big the fires need to be. How long should I keep the fires going (reloading with kindling), and should the stove cool completely before doing it again.

It says in the manual that it will take 30 to 40 hours of hot fires ( in excess of 500-600 degrees) before the stove perfoms normally. I'm guessing those are full load fires to keep the heat up and going for hours at a time.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Just don't load it to the gills and walk away. Probably a 1/3 load max, starting with kindling, once that starts burning down, start adding some smaller to med pieces. I'd let the stove top get up to 400-450 even 475 then let it go cool. Do that a few times and that is more than ample.

I really think they just don't want a new user to load the thing up before seeing what a small fire does. To me, the break in fire is really more for the operator to gain some experience than for the stove.

pen