Breaking in the new Quad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbursan

Jan 29, 2014
Upper Alabama
Quadrafire 3100 Millennium.

I lit my second fire of the season, this time a little larger to get the stink out of it. Definitely stunk a little bit but not nearly as bad as I expected. A question about temperatures: how hot should I normally shoot for? I'm thinking keep it around 350 or so. I had pretty good secondaries going around that temp so everything looked pretty good. I only ask because it really wanted to go higher than that - I had to cut the air almost off when it got to 400 or it would have kept going. And I see a lot of people here talking of 5-600 degrees. That would scare me to death.

Also, I'm measuring the stove pipe right at the stove top and getting basically the same temps. Of course it drops as I go up, down to around 220 or so (this is double-wall pipe). I've been checking the chimney temps too and they never went over 71 degrees at the lowest point I could reach (just as it came into the attic). Does this all sound about right?

You'll need to take it up to 500F stovetop temp to bake in the paint. That is an easy cruising temp for this stove.

_g

Well okey doke.

Is there a good online source for accessories? I guess I'll be needing a chimney brush and a temperature gauge and probably something to keep the cat away from it.

That cat will do just fine on its own. Don't be afraid of 500F stove top for that unit. You ain't hurting it a bit. Keep the stove south of 700 and it will be a happy home heater for a long time.

Mine cruises at 500-550 with full load of 6" diameter splits. I know you've invested a good amount of money and are probably a little leery of temps, but like jags and begreen said 500F is fine. I find mine burns best around 550. I have seen 700 degrees on stovetop for a short time when my wife thought a whole bunch of small pieces filled to the brim with air all the way open was a good idea since it "wasn't that cold outside". My cat had to take his fur off and put on shorts

You'll love the stove! I have one and can keep a 2200 square foot split entry home built in 2004 nice and toasty at 72-75 on low once the secondaries are cranking! I try to run mine between 600-675. If it starts going over that, I just crank the blower on high to cool it down. I don't get nervous until it starts creeping up on 800. And even then as long as it stars drooping with the fan on it will be fine.

Figured I'd post a pic of my father in laws new quad. I believe it's a 3100 limited, it's got 3 soapstone tiles on each side. He just sent me this pic he lives in a small cabin in Fairbanks, ak. They've been having issues with poor air quality in town. Some sort of incentive if a new stove will cut your emmisions in half they give you money on a trade in. His old stove was one of the smaller hearthstones from early 2000's. I guess his decision came down to this and one of the 20 series blaze kings.
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.