Breaking out tiles in chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian1971

Nov 19, 2017
Pa
I have a chimney with the 8- 1/2 x 13 terra-cotta flue liners and of course a 6" insulated liner won't fit. The chimney is 13' tall but only the the upper 6' has flue liners. How does everyone break these out . I haven't bought anything yet (insert or liner), I looked at the oval liner, how would you ever clean that? Still in the planning stages here

You can just cut down a big off the shelf brush.
Breaking tiles requires some specialized equipment. A tile breaker and steel rods that you spin with a drill. Honestly for a 1 time use you’d probably have the same amount of money in hiring someone, considering your time is also worth something too.

Last edited:
You can just cut down a big of the shelf brush.
Breaking tiles required some specialized equipment. A tile breaker and steel rods that you spin with a drill. Honestly for a 1 time use you’d be probably have the same amount of money in hiring someone, considering your time is also worth something too.
And the fact that if you dont know what you are doing you could do serious damage to the chimney or yourself.

It’s definitely not easy. It is easy to wrap up your gloves and/or shirt in the rods though and cause real bodily harm. If you decide to do this, be very careful.

It’s definitely not easy. It is easy to wrap up your gloves and/or shirt in the rods though and cause real bodily harm. If you decide to do this, be very careful.
Or have the breaker grab on something and yank the drill out of your hands or knock you over. None of wich is good ontop of a chimney

Reactions: webby3650
Can you use a sooteater to clean an oval liner?