breaking the back knockout jotul 3cb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattvermont

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2008
vermont
I have a new jotul 3CB. I have been hitting the back "knockout" of the stove with a hammer. It wont break. And I am afraid of cracking the whole stove. Any advice?

Perhaps the hammer is spreading the load over too wide an area to split the casting ? Try using a ball peen hammer and strike with the ball end to concentrate the load. Alternatively, use a cold chisel to get the load concentrated along the split lines (don't know if they are visible, I have to imagine they are). As with many things of this sort, one needs a good decent blow that is sharply concentrated. Tapping the thing will get you nowhere. If using a big heavy hammer, be sure to hit with a corner of the hammer and not the center of the face.

Matthew Patterson said:
I have a new jotul 3cb and I have been hitting the back of the stove with a hammer. It wont break. And I am afraid of cracking the whole stove. Any advice?

thanks, kieth...I really am not as feeble as I sound. I just needed to hear frome someone that it is not as sketchy of a procedure as it sounds.
I will get out my cold chisel and 2 pound hammer
thanks for the advice
Matthew

This requires some fortitude, Luke - Use the force! It scared the bejeesus out of me to do it but it does take a mighty swing to get it to start splitting apart. If you have a cold chisel you can use that to dent the circumference for a cleaner break. Use a coarse metal file or gently use a grinder to round out the final hole.

Also, be sure that when you put the top back on that it is square and level with the stove body. If not, it will leak. Don't ask me how I know... :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.