Breaking the grinder habit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
When I got back into using a chainsaw often enough to warrant sharpening on my own, I let a coworker talk me into buying a grinder, rather than hand sharpening. It works, but it's crude (I didn't get a $400 grinder), too-easily removes more material than necessary, and not as consistent as I think it could be. I'd prefer to go with my initial intuition: hand sharpening.

So, you hand-sharpening experts, what do I need to get started? I see everything from $90 jigs with carbide cutters to freehand with no guide, and everything in-between. Where's a guy to start (and finish), in the quest to efficient hand sharpening?

I started with Granberg File 'n' Joint over 25 yrs ago.Soon afterwards Dad taught me how to use a file free hand much easier & correctly.The jig still works fine,just havent used in over 20 years,its hanging on back of bench.

I'd start with the guide of your choice (lots more good options nowadays) then as you get better go freehand.The learning curve is quite rapid.

Look at it like a sculpture. Only remove anything that does not make it sharp.
Look at the edge closely, before and after you file it.

This goes without saying I guess, grinder, guide or freehand.
I have a pair of pretty strong reading glasses I use when sharpening.
It really helps me see what I am doing.

Reactions: Realstone
Honestly for several years I have used my Dremel tool with the Oregon sharpening bits. As long as you have a keen eye and steady hand and understand the principle of correct sharpening, it works great. Then a friend got me a Timberline sharpener, and that thing (once you get the hang of it) is totally awesome! (Thanks BrianK). Files are fine, the timberline is more accurate and faster once your learn how to use it.

In my opinion/ experience, the Pferd Chain Sharp is the cat's pajamas of hand tools for chain sharpening:

From the manufacturer's website:

"This unique tool sharpens the tooth and maintains the height of depth gauge in one operation without removing the chain from the bar. Built-in angles and guides ensure proper filing technique for easy, professional results, regardless of experience level."

What I like best is how it takes the depth gauge/ rakers down to an appropriate level at the same time you sharpen the cutting surface

Just a lite touch with some cool gride for 2.00 and sve yourself a heap of money! Watch the sparks it doesnt take much.

Just a lite touch with some cool gride for 2.00 and sve yourself a heap of money! Watch the sparks it doesnt take much.

This is basically the machine I'm using now, except I also touch off the depth gauges with the wheel. Why do that by hand, if you've already set up to use the machine?

This is basically the machine I'm using now, except I also touch off the depth gauges with the wheel. Why do that by hand, if you've already set up to use the machine?

I like the raker rounded its a smooother ride and faster. (longer the bar the more you will feel with flat ground rakers) More so on the harder woods.;) Tree this size with with a flat raker and your elbows will be shaking for weeks!

zz.jpg

So, you hand-sharpening experts, what do I need to get started?

You need the correct size/type of file and plenty of experience. I recommend a handle. ;) Purchasing a sharpening kit like Stihl and Husqvarna sell is a good slam dunk way to get started without anything fancy.

Grinders are like any other machine tool (lathe/mill, etc.), You get what you pay for, there are deals out there but if you're going to be picky about your results, a $30 grinder (or $100 for that matter) probably won't make you happy.

For the vast majority of the crew here that seeks something easier to perfect than a file and less money than a quality grinder setup, I think Timberline might be on to something. I'm inclined to try one out myself but being halfway decent with a file and having access to grinders anytime I need, I'm just haven't got to buying one yet. Damn thing may be even better than a grinder for most folks since there is a technique to using the grinder effectively.

File all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.