Breckwell Big E Furnace - cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony K

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Northeast Ct
Wondering how often other Breckwell Big E users have to completely shut down to clean their stoves to clean? I have to shut down the stove on average every 4th or 5th day. The burnpot will somewhat become clogged and start to fill with pellets. I'm sure the type of pellets play a role in this! I try and buy top brands such as Cubex, Lignetics, Hamer Hot Ones, Energex to name a few, it depends on whats available. Hamer Hot Ones seem to work the best for me, Cubex were also good but difficult to find. Energex and Lignetics seems to have a more grainy type ash and will produce clinkers, clumps in the burnpot resulting in having to clean to stove more often. I think what is happening is as the ashes fall through the burnpot, they build up underneath the burnpot as the burnpot sits in the assembly and have no where to go resulting in the holes in the burnpot now becoming clogged, thinking if there was more space underneath the burnpot it might help reduce cleaning. Just curious as to how often others have to shut down to clean their stove.

Tony

I stop and clean mine just about that its always good to keep it really clean instead of really dirty. Easier to clean that way.. matter if fact the p22 i have in my showroom is not dirty by any means and i just shut it off to clean it. the more you clean the more efficient your stove will be.

Thanks,

I just want to be sure that I am in line with others and to be sure that my stove is running properly and efficiently. All seems good.

Tony

Search by kinsman stoves or eric and read the 4 part cleaning post I did. It will help you.

Eric

Eric,

your post on cleaning are very helpfull, it's what I've been doing right along as when my stove was installed they did give me information on cleaning and maintaining the stove. I even clean the exhaust vent more than I have to, sometimes very little ash in it. I will remove the bottom vent cap go outside and run the brush through it. I bought some clear tubing and made up an attachment to use with the shop vac for them hard to get areas.

Is it normal for the stove to shut down when the door is open when cleaning the burnpot of clinkers? it doesn't happen all the time, seems to happen when the door is kept open to long. The number 2 light blinks, all I do is hold in the on button and stove restarts and everything is fine from that point.

Thanks

Tony K said:
Eric,

your post on cleaning are very helpfull, it's what I've been doing right along as when my stove was installed they did give me information on cleaning and maintaining the stove. I even clean the exhaust vent more than I have to, sometimes very little ash in it. I will remove the bottom vent cap go outside and run the brush through it. I bought some clear tubing and made up an attachment to use with the shop vac for them hard to get areas.

Is it normal for the stove to shut down when the door is open when cleaning the burnpot of clinkers? it doesn't happen all the time, seems to happen when the door is kept open to long. The number 2 light blinks, all I do is hold in the on button and stove restarts and everything is fine from that point.

Thanks

Yes on the stove shutting down. You get about 20-23 seconds to do what you have to do then the negetive pressure switch will trip.

Eric

I've been reading pros and cons about the OAK, when my stove was installed (in the unfinished basement) they told me I did not need the outside air vent? free installation was part of the deal when buying the stove. They used 4 inch vent pipe. Just curious if this would make any difference for me. I've had the stove now for 5 years.

Thanks

Tony K said:
I've been reading pros and cons about the OAK, when my stove was installed (in the unfinished basement) they told me I did not need the outside air vent? free installation was part of the deal when buying the stove. They used 4 inch vent pipe. Just curious if this would make any difference for me. I've had the stove now for 5 years.

Thanks

I like using 4". If it has worked so far, I think you are good.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.