Breckwell Big E Shutting Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rafter2S

Sep 22, 2016
oregon
Hello All,

I have a Breckwell BigE that has been randomly shutting down. Hopper is empty and light 3 is flashing. This is an intermitten issue as it will work fine for a day or so then shuts down and errors out. I have replaced both sensors and checked the vacuum switch. Restart the stove and it runs goood for a little bit. I did notice that the room air fan comes in during start up, I didn’t thing this would come on till the stove is up to temp. Any ideas on what might be going on?

a bit more info... what setting do you have it on? Mine randomly when it is on 1 will go out. Also when is the last time you cleaned your hopper out? I find that all the fines build up at the bottom and do not get pushed through with the pellets, this has been the worst year for me i have to empty the hoper every 3 weeks and vacuum out the fines. Their is a blower that fires up with the stove not sure what one as i have never checked.

a bit more info... what setting do you have it on? Mine randomly when it is on 1 will go out. Also when is the last time you cleaned your hopper out? I find that all the fines build up at the bottom and do not get pushed through with the pellets, this has been the worst year for me i have to empty the hoper every 3 weeks and vacuum out the fines. Their is a blower that fires up with the stove not sure what one as i have never checked.
I have it running on 3 damper out 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. I have not cleaned the hopper out this year but will try that. I have cleaned it just the other day. Took it out and blew all the soot out and cleaned the pipe.

When you say you cleaned it did you pull the blowers and clean them as well? I usually have to do that 2x a season. Also their are 2 little doors in the combustion chamber where ash builds up that has to be cleaned during the season. When im doing my weekly clean i also take the vacuum and put it over the vacuum port on the stove to suck any ash out of their.
Sounds like your running the same settings i am so it should be feeding enough unless their are to many fines in the hopper. On 3 mine will cook me out of the house.
Also make sure your burn pot is clean and no buildup in thier. Depending on the pellets im using i have to scrape the pot weekly due to buildup blocking the holes.

Where is the vacuume port at? I have taken the the two doors of of the back and cleaned them out. Do you physically pull the fans and clean them out, I have never done that in 5 years?

if you are looking at your burn pot the vacuum port is to your left about 3/4 of the way up its just a little hole.. The blower on the left you can clean just by taking the panel off it usually gets packed with hair and dust, the one on the right side you will have to unbolt it usually packs with ash. Also if your looking at your burn pot on the left and right at the bottom you will see 2 little doors held in by 2 screws pull them as behind their fills with ash as well..

Reactions: ARC