Breckwell Big E , how can two stoves use the same amount of pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I have a Breckwell Big E small window, a friend of mine has a Big E big window.
I run mine on a programmable stat [HIGH /LOW] high #3 . I use about 4 tons a year.
He runs his on manual #1 , and uses the same amount of pellets. We burn the same
amount of time , 24/7 Oct-April. How is this possible ? I'm burning about 2 lbs an hour
and he is burning about 1 lbs an hour. Or can you set the feed rate on the # 1 manual setting to
feed more pellets then 1 lbs an hour ? My second question is , was there a shooter on the grassy knoll in Dallas ? Thanks for your time .

I have a big window Big-E and the manual #1 setting has a low, normal and high setting. So it can burn almost as many pellets as the #2 setting.

A lot of stoves have multiple low burn settings at setting 1 and can almost reach the burn rate normally found at setting 2. Mine is one and the stove technician says that the same control system is used in many stoves.

There is also another way this can take place, while the manufacturers tell you that a stove feeds x pounds when on rate y that isn't exactly true. The feed system provides a varying volume of pellets depending upon the length, and diameter, this along with the density of some pellets can effectively amount to a major difference in the weight of pellets that go through the stove on the same setting depending upon only differences in pellet brands.

not sure if this is correct but at a higher setting, more pellets are being dropped per cycle as compared to a lower setting thus giving more heat. The low temp option constantly delivers a small amount of pellets over said time to maintain the heat and the heat is maintained making it easier on the stove to keep that temp in the room. Having the stove on a thermostat makes the stove go on and off and has changes in room temps, wall temps, floor temps. All of these need to be re-heated to the desired temps before any heat is actually retained in the room (or house). Therefore the stove is working harder bringing temps back up making the cycle time longer that it is dropping large amount of pellets. I go with the slow and steady approach with both my englander and breckwell big e (big window) Again not sure if this is correct but just my 2...

I run mine on high /low the stove never turns off, and the stat only has a 1 degree set back . How do you set different feed cycles on the # 1 setting ?

Here you go buildingmaint,

RESET TRIM
Different size and quality pellet fuel may require adjustment of the “1” feed setting on the Heat Level
Advance bar graph. This is usually a one-time adjustment based on the fuel you are using. The
“RESET TRIM” button when adjusted will allow for 3 different feed rate settings for the #1 feed setting
only. To adjust simply push the “RESET TRIM” button while the stove is operating at setting “1” and
watch the bar graph.
• When the “1” & “3” lights are illuminated on the bar graph the low feed rate is at its “lowest” setting.
(Approx. 0.9 pounds per hour)
• When the “1” light is illuminated on the bar graph the low feed rate is at its “normal” setting.
• When the “1” & “4” lights are illuminated on the bar graph the low feed rate is at its “highest”
setting.

also have you done a good cleaning lately? cleaning of the trap doors to the left and the right of the burn pot behind the ash pan? this will greatly effect the heat output of the stove. I do mine every week and also sweep the shimney every 1/2 ton...

The environmental conditions inside and outside of your home may be different. From what I understand, the feed setting numbers do not exactly translate to a "pound per hour" readout.

Yes my stove is cleaned regularly , this is my 5 th season . Didn't know that you could adjust the feed rate on the # 1 setting . Other then the fan not running on high , what would be the point , I guess if you didn't have a stat .

The trim adjust on low is stop the fire from going out during keep fire burns when running in high/low mode via a stat or on the low setting. Sometimes different pellets burn up faster then the volume that the auger can reliably deliver given the short on time in keep fire or low setting, the adjustment increases or decreases the on time by a small amount to allow a more reliable delivery of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.