1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Breckwell insert new problem ?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by timinct, Feb 18, 2013.

1. timinct

timinct Member

Loc:
    Vernon, CT
    This is a first for me. Running it on level 4 last nite about an hour into it the convection blower quite. Stove was still running.

Is there a thermal cutout for the convection blower? Also, shouldn't the stove shut down if that blower stops? I shut it down. Let it cool with a fan blowing on it and after about 20 minutes or so I got the convection blower going again. I was spinning it by hand and it started. Never had this happen before.

Ran the stove on level 3 all nite and all seems well now. I'm puzzled about this blower. Is it failing?

Thanks for the help,
    Tim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Yes there is thermal protection for the convection blower, you need to clean the blower and the motor paying particular attention to the motors cooling fan, then you need to oil the convection blower using the proper oil, the makers plate on the motor will tell you what to use. It is possible that the motor will be beyond recovery, but placing two drops of approved oil into each port and hand spinning to work it in followed by several such operations may recover the blower. They frequently require 2 drops each port every 6 months.
  3. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    What Smokey said. I blow my motor windings out with compressed air every spring, after taking the motors outside. I bought my stove used, and the amount of dust that came out of the motors was phenomenal the first time I did this!

The stove wil not typically shut down when the convection blower quits - unless the stove overheats due to lack of the cooling from the air circulation.