Brick Hearth Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

banginglc1

Oct 14, 2022
Indiana
As some of you might have seen in another thread, my new stove install is happening soon. The large room we have has a concrete floor. For money reasons, we were just going to place the stove straight on the concrete for now. But, we want a brick hearth in the future. And if I can get bricks free this weekend, I might just go ahead and do it before install.

My question is. What would you use to set the brick on the concrete. A thinset mortar like tile? Or a brick mortar. I'd assume I'd use a typical brick mortar for between the bricks. But that might be a little thick for setting the brick on.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

As some of you might have seen in another thread, my new stove install is happening soon. The large room we have has a concrete floor. For money reasons, we were just going to place the stove straight on the concrete for now. But, we want a brick hearth in the future. And if I can get bricks free this weekend, I might just go ahead and do it before install.

My question is. What would you use to set the brick on the concrete. A thinset mortar like tile? Or a brick mortar. I'd assume I'd use a typical brick mortar for between the bricks. But that might be a little thick for setting the brick on.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Just use type s mortar for all of it