Filling gaps in mortar between firebox and hearth bricks need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

djs259

Jan 24, 2024
New York
So the mortar joint between the bricks at the base of the firebox and the bricks which make up the hearth appears to have partially crumbled, leaving some small gaps in the joint. As you can see in the photo it is barely visible. It has been this way for a while but I'd like to get it taken care of, if only for aesthetic purposes. I was thinking of using the Rutland high tempt mortar that comes in the caulk tube. I'm worried that the joint in question being so far from the source of heat, the product may not cure properly. So which kind of mortar do I use for this job then? Regular type N mortar? Any input on the best course of action here would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Screenshot_20240124-023622-274~2.png Screenshot_20240124-023717-639~2.png

The first thing to do is find out if it's cracking because it's improperly supported. If it is then yes any mortar will work fine

Type N or Type S mortar? Which is preferable.
It really doesn't matter in this case. Type s is probably what was used

Last edited: