Brief review of Staghorn Sumac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a few staghorns down on my property. It's not worth messing with. Stinks when burned and becomes punky when dried. I'd rather burn pine.

My wife absolutely detests staghorn sumac . . . says it looks like an overgrown weed. All I know is it cuts easily and burns easily . . . but the only time I've burned it is in the Spring in a brush pile. Oh yeah, I also know it has sticky sap (not as bad as fir, pine, etc.) and you can make a lemon-aid like drink from the flowers in the Fall.

The 'wood' of staghorn sumac has interesting bright green and red layers in it, at least the few I have cut. It really isn't all that woody, sort of a styrofoam type of wood. Maybe if you had a really big one, there would be more wood. Around here about 4 or 5 inches diameter is tops for Staghorn Sumac. It does cut easily, however.

I'm always clearing out Buckthorn along the back of my property where I stack wood. None of it gets real big, but the
4-5" diameter stuff actually made pretty good firewood. Thin bark, almost like a birch, brite orange color inside, dries
pretty quick, fairly dense. Almost impossible to kill off.

That's one of favorite ornamental trees...if you grow 'em right. I cut a few down this past weekend and was surprised how easily they burn up in the campfire. Never tried 'em indoors though...mostly cause the biggest trunk I've seen has only been 8in. and that's one I planted. In the wild they don't get to big around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.