1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Bring on the cold!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by AnalogKid, Oct 4, 2013.

1. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
    Well, I think I am ready. I'm out of seasoned wood so I guess I have to be.....ha.

Stove is clean, door adjusted, blower vac'd out, and ready to go. Chimney and cap is swept and inspected. All my racks are in place and full with right around 4 cords. A 1/3yd sack of chunks. Have 10lbs of Fat Wood on hand and about 2 bushels of kindling.

Can't think of anything that I am missing....? Ready to crank it up! :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380925042.605278.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380925056.501365.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380925066.268233.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380925078.551356.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380925099.651513.jpg

Attached Files:

Bluezx636, ddddddden and n3pro like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    The only thing missing is cold weather, but that will get here soon enough.
  3. setterp

setterp New Member

Props on the nice stack of wood. Looks like you are well prepared for the cold. I'm looking forward to a little colder temperature too, unfortunately it's forecasted for 84F here tomorrow, ugh (SW Virginia). But as noted it will be cold soon enough.

What type of stove do you have installed?
  4. Sons924

Sons924 Member

I'm very jealous! One question though. Did you season your wood on that pallet rack you built? How does the back pile season with no wind or sun exposure? Please let me know because I'd love to copy that pallet idea
  5. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
    I feel you, it was 80+ here in CT today. It was beautiful, but I was sweatin' up a storm loading those racks. I was wishing I hadn't closed the pool last week!

You can see my stoves in my sig. The EcoChoice insert is in my house and the little Jotul is in my garage, it sees little use.
  6. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
    I didn't season wood on that pallet rack, I just built that to hold some extra wood that I had no other place put. I will use it to season wood next spring/summer, but I will move it to a different location where it will have exposure on both sides. The two halves are not connected, so it is easy to move.....and make larger.
  7. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Isn't that a lot of weight to have on your deck?

I am not comfortable having wood stacked that close to my house.....

That said, the stacks surely look pretty....
  8. coltfever

coltfever Member

Loc:
    Middle Tennessee
    Nice picture of all that wood but no picture of the stove. We need to see that also. I have to say you sure look ready for winter time. Good work.
  9. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Matches?

Doh!
    ==c
    AnalogKid likes this.
  10. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
    No worry about weight. Being on the house-side of the deck and the way the ledger and joists are tied into the foundation....plenty of strength.

Also, the exterior walls (the framework) of my house are concrete, and the siding is stucco. If it were wood I may be a little more apprehensive. Also, I don't put green wood there, only dry stuff during burning season.
    rideau likes this.
  11. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
  12. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
  13. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
    I love it. Heats the whole house, minus finished basement. I have a permanent installed Rinnai gas heater going down there in the next couple weeks.

The only time I ever have to kick on the oil furnace is if say we were out of town a couple days during a real cold snap. I'll turn it on to take the chill out and bring the temp up, at the same time getting a fire going in the stove. Once the stove is up to temp I shut the furnace off and let the stove take over.

Great investment.