Brittle stove legs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
20 years ago I bought a cast iron wood stove. Had it delivered but because I wasn't finished with the stove pipe I had them leave the stove a few feet from where I would install it. When I was ready, I started to gently nudge (drag) the stove and one leg snapped off. Ever since then I have refused to consider a cast stove. Was it a fluke or is cast iron that brittle? I am shopping for a stove and automatically dismiss cast or any stove that has spindly looking legs like Vermont Casting or Woodstock etc...

Cast is brittle by nature. I've never broken a leg off but I'm sure it's possible. Currently, I have to replace a pair of warming shelf brackets on a VC stove. Don't ask......

Trying to "nudge" anything as heavy as a woodstove that's supported on legs is risky business regardless of what the legs are made of. If a leg doesn't fail, then an attachment point may well come apart. Moving a wood stove, even a very small distance, requires that the weight be removed from the legs...that means picking the sucker up. Even if you only need it 1/4" to the left, or whatever. Pick it up, move it, and put it back down. A stove on a pedestal, of course, can be expected to be much more forgiving in this regard. Rick

The two places cast gets broken on stoves from what I have personally observed is the legs and the door hinges. Both during moving the stoves. For four or five dollars a set of plastic furniture sliders under the legs will let you slide even a heavy stove all over the room. As for the doors they must be tightly closed or removed when moving a cast stove. Once those hinges are broken it is all over until the whole front of the stove is replaced.

Nudging cast can cause a break - but I wouldn't let that get in the way of buying a cast iron stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Most of the time when a stove gets nudged there is slip/stick friction that occurs where the stove mometarilly sticks then releases, the resultant vibration will crack a cast ron leg real quick.

Cast iron is that brittle.
My previous stove was cast iron and needed quite abit of welding to be servicable. It was also 130 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.