Broken Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keyman923

Feb 27, 2008
Cookeville TN
Hello

Not sure how it happened but the glass on my englander 24icd is cracked, I really can't afford to replace it and I dont see me getting out the bolts that hold the glass in without them breaking off, Can i burn small fires? its on a concrete slab

Thanks
Mark

+1 on the soaking with real penatrating oil (not (WD40, etc..).

Tapping on the bolts every day when soaking also helps, as does a bit of heat once a day with a torch. That's how I did mine. The one I broke drilled and tapped pretty easy.

ATB,
Mike

however it broke , not sure why either, if its just a single crack i would say you are ok short term monitor it while it burns for a while and have a new roll of foil tape handy , if the glass breaks or loses a piece you could have a runaway, make a patch of the foil tape bugger than the hole that appears and carefully cover and try to seal it that way should hold long enough to get the stove under conterol and extinguished

as for the screws , snapping one off isnt the end of the world , a #17 drill bit and a #32 self tapping screw will fix the issue. god point on the penetrating oil , and minister carefully to the screws when removing , DO NOT use a powered tool if you are worried at all they may snap off , best thing is a simple box end wrench (5/16th" ) and gentle pressure.

another possibility if the glass becomes unusable would be to have a steel plate cut locally, which would be cheaper than a new glass piece (part# ac-g8) link to online store http://www.englanderstoves.com/store/ have the piece cut to same size as the glass and get a generic glass gasket to seal , only bad thing is you lose the look of the fire and that unit usually the glass doesnt stay clean but for several hours anyway

We've had some good reports from forum members using OneDayGlass. Also check local pricing for custom cut ceramic stove glass (NeoCeram) if you have a good glass shop available.

Thank you so much for all the super quick responses. I don't know why I'm stressing, it was only 94 today, I can get by till Oct-Nov-Dec usually and I got alot of time to get it fixed. I was thinking that glass was $200+. $48 at oneday plus shipping, I got a couple glass shops here I can check. The foil tape is great idea.

I really would like to use it cracked, I don't have to worry about cracking it anymore. It does get dirtier then some but I thought that was my wood was too wet to burn, does fine on real dry wood.

I do need to get a couple metal plates together just in case.

Thanks again
Mark

The glass is $70 +$12.50 shipping from Englander.

I have been at points where every dime conts. I understand the need to stretch a dollar but you are literally playing with fire. Fix your stove. You certainly won't be sorry you did.

Hi all

Used about 4 ricks last winter, not much, will be even less this year. It has 2 more cracks in it now but the weird thing is that the new cracks did'nt appear till this summer.

I have a metal plate now I can install if needed, plus a local glass company can get it and funds are a little better.

Hard to tell from my avatar but its on a slab with nothing around it and a block wall behind it and fire extinguisher close by. Its a guest house built into a hill, I just need to keep it above freezing, was 46 in it right now with no heat going and 15 degree's outside with 0 wind chill, so I only need to build real small fires and that won't be very often.

I really enjoyed last years burn with the cracked glass, I'm going to fire it up tomorrow and will post how it goes, I really think it will be fine, just wanted to keep everyone up to date, and thank you again for all the help.

Mark

Order the glass, it could fail in an instant. Don't burn this way when not at home or asleep. Check out www.onedayglass.com for good pricing.

Dear Hearth.com:

I have a great looking car, but it has two bald tires that look as though they could blow out any day. However, I don't plan on driving this car very much since I only use it once in a while and I know this could be dangerous but I figure since my car has airbags and a seatbelt I should be OK, right? I mean, what if I only drive slow?

Firefighterjake

----

My own opinion . . . fix it right or don't burn at all. When it comes to safe burning practices fire doesn't discriminate between the person burning once in a while and the 24/7 burner.

firefighterjake said:
Dear Hearth.com:

I have a great looking car, but it has two bald tires that look as though they could blow out any day. However, I don't plan on driving this car very much since I only use it once in a while and I know this could be dangerous but I figure since my car has airbags and a seatbelt I should be OK, right? I mean, what if I only drive slow?

Firefighterjake

Go ahead and drive it. Based on what I see around here, your car is still in A1 shape.

and OP.. fix it. IMHO, the plate is fine if it seals OK, many a stove has no view. But you do NEED a sealed box..

Status
Not open for further replies.