BrotherBart-mod- Rest in Peace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
For those of you that have been around for a while, you may well remember BrotherBart as a wry, smart, tenacious, man that served as moderator on here, for roughly 15 years, and a contributing member years prior.

It is with much sadness that I share that BB (Roy) passed away yesterday morning. He was a Vietnam Veteran where he worked on and flew in Chinooks, a savvy business man, a devoted husband that took phenomenal care of his wife( that he just lost this spring after a long illness), a hell of a friend, and a person that many people on this site owed a beer to as his words and advice kept many a home from becoming ash.

This site carries on a lot of his wisdom, but his presence will always be missed.

Rest easy, BrotherBart. We will keep the fire stoked.

1661770333368.png

pen

Last edited:
Although as he said once he was the grumpy opinionated moderator before I showed up lol. He will certainly be missed.

He donated much time in front of the screen as well as behind the scene to not only help those that needed it but to also help shape what this place currently is.

He will be missed.

Reactions: begreen
Very sorry to hear this. Im still fairly new to the scene, but can appreciate someone that put their passion out there to help others like me who have an interest, questions, etc to discuss on these great forums.

so very sad to hear! my condolences to his family.

Thanks for the good words Pen. Roy was not only a good friend, but also an inspiration. His rapier wit and wry commentary always kept a thread on track. Hearth.com was a home base, but his big and generous heart often went well beyond the online conversation. More than once he generously helped out people offline. He would give the shirt off his back if one needed help. It has been a privilege to know Roy. He had that unique quality of bridging across divides with an unparalleled West Texas repartee. I will miss him greatly.

Rest in Peace kind sir.

Mentor & a friend.

Gonna miss him tons .

I had the privilege of meeting him about five years ago just before our family moved out Virginia. He helped us by generously buying a supply of Liberty Bricks (a compressed wood product) that we couldn’t move to Texas with us. I was touched when he reached out by e-mail a few weeks later just to check in on us as we made our move and tried to settle in to a new home. He was a fine fellow.

Reactions: Ashful and begreen
Does anybody have a screenshot of his Englander T shirt?

RIP BB.

Reactions: webfish
... or the two cases of beer in his stove?

In true BroBart self-deprecating fashion, it wasn't good beer, either. ;lol
Natty Light was his preference. He needed his wits about him to take care of his wife, Janie.
When we were at the Green Heat stove run-off in DC we both got some beers at the after-work party. BB got a Dogfish IPA to try out after hearing so many people here giving it good reviews. He took one sip and puckered up like he had drunk sewer water. After shaking his head woefully I got him a Bud and finished his IPA, which really was fine. Kinda tame by west coast standards.

Wow - sad news indeed. Warm thoughts and prayers for surviving friends, family and loved ones.

Quite an impressive body of wisdom he has left us here. I never had a chance to meet the gent, but looking back through the archives, he joined November 18, 2005 ... a day before I did lol! Though he outpaced me in posting nuggets of wisdom by over 12 to 1! For grins, I scrolled through thousands of pages of search results to get to 'day one.' Here is his first post on Nov 19th, 2005:

Over 16 years and 33,405 posts later, the last...

Rest in peace.

For those of you that have been around for a while, you may well remember BrotherBart as a wry, smart, tenacious, man that served as moderator on here, for roughly 15 years, and a contributing member years prior.

It is with much sadness that I share that BB (Roy) passed away yesterday morning. He was a Vietnam Veteran where he worked on and flew in Chinooks, a savvy business man, a devoted husband that took phenomenal care of his wife( that he just lost this spring after a long illness), a hell of a friend, and a person that many people on this site owed a beer to as his words and advice kept many a home from becoming ash.

This site carries on a lot of his wisdom, but his presence will always be missed.

Rest easy, BrotherBart. We will keep the fire stoked.

View attachment 298472

pen
I had some direct contact with him via this website. What an inspiration he was! RIP.

Bummer.. he talked to me some when I was doing our install.

I have great memories of him here. What a loss.

It is with great sadness that I learned about this.

He let me know months ago that he wasn't doing well and asked that I not mention it to anyone.

He was one to always help with whatever I asked; whether it be burning related or not.

Anyone else remember his stories about the cougar that prowled his wood stacks? ;)

Rest In Peace Brother Bart, you'll be in my continued prayers.

I enjoyed his posts a lot. He sounds like an A+ guy. RIP

BB could always be counted on for a no BS response. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but one can tell he was well liked and respected by all. RIP.

Reactions: Woody Stover