Brown Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDub

Dec 23, 2008
South Central PA
Came home this evening and my pellet stove was off. Wife didnt stir pellets before leaving the house and they hung up on the sides (still trying to work this issue out). So, time for the usual cleaning before starting back open. I open the door and find the ash is a reddish brown. Now these are the same pellets I have been using all winter thus far, from the same ton as well. This is the second time that the ash has been this reddish brown color. Is this significant? What does it mean? I also noticed on my way to work this morning that the very end of exhaust outlet is brownish black, almost as if it has been scorched. The vent set up is like this: straight out the wall to a T with a cleanout, about a six foot run straight up, 90 degree bend to a downward facing exhaust cap. Any insight would be much appreciated.

I think you need to add more info. What type of pellets are you running?

As far as the black/brownish charring at the end of the exhaust, I probably wouldn't worry about it much as my stove runs fine and I have that, and have been monitoring the vent tube and it remains fairly clean with no issues.

As far as the reddish/brown ash perhaps as the flame artificially dies out it smolders and doesn't burn the pellets as completely as it would if it remained running?

It sounds like you already know what the real problem is. Pellet bridging.

Type of pellets is important. Could there me a binding agent in them?

Mark

Brand of Pellets is:

Clean Energy
Premium Grade Hardwood Pellet Fuel
100% Hardwood Sawdust

Got a ton at Lowes. It was the only place that had in stock at the time I needed, plus it was 5.98 per bag, which was the least expensive I have seen thus far.

Specs are as follows:

Material- 100% hardwood
Ash- Less than 1%
Fines- Less than 0.5%
Sodium- Less than 300 parts per million

Your theory about the pellets not burning completely due to the fire going out because of the bridging problem I have makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input. I was concerned there may be a larger problem afoot, but it sounds like that would be a legit cause of brownish/reddish ash

BDub said:
Your theory about the pellets not burning completely due to the fire going out because of the bridging problem I have makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input. I was concerned there may be a larger problem afoot, but it sounds like that would be a legit cause of brownish/reddish ash

Just a theory. You'll have to try it and see. I really don't think that is something you need to worry about though if it is any help at all.

Please let us know what you find out.

Mark :)

Status
Not open for further replies.