Brown Outs causing room blower to slow down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Elettt

Nov 13, 2008
Central Ma/NH Border
For the past few weeks I've been noticing that every once in a while my room blower on our Lopi Pioneer (which is always kept on high speed) will slow down for a split second and then go back to normal speed. Sometimes at a higher feed rate it will almost sound like the fan is going to stall because it's slowing down and speeding up repeatedly.

Now it occurred to me that the problem might be electrical. The first time this happened was a day that we had an ice storm (but before things got really bad). That night we lost power for 3 days. The night power came back on, I couldn't turn the feed rate past medium or the blower would start "stalling". Last week I thought I saw a light dim a few times around the same time that I heard the blower slow down again.

Now today it's doing it. It's one of the coldest days we've had here, only about 8 degrees, and it's doing it again. But I don't have any lights on so I can't tell if they're dimming. We run mostly florescent bulbs anyway and I don't believe those dim.

Could electrical brownouts or perhaps a problem outside cause the blower to slow down and then speed back up again? That's what I'm thinking, but I find it odd that it's still doing this after a few weeks. We did have our connection fixed last year due to corrosion and that was causing our power to dim, so I can't imagine that we have a problem at the house again.

I just want to make sure it's not the blower or the control board because I can't afford the $85 house call for the tech to tell me that there is nothing wrong with it. Is there a way that I can troubleshoot?

put a small lamp next to the stove and plug it in to the same outlet....see if it dims at the same time...
The crews were still working when I was in New Ipswich on Christmas day, so it could be possible that they are still working on some transmission lines or maybe a temporary connection is swaying in the wind...
It could also be the power failure partially damaged the board, did you have a good surge protector on the stove?

Good idea, I should do that.

No stupidly I don't have a surge protector yet. I'll have to get one. I don't think the circuit board was damaged by a power failure because it was doing this before we initially lost power and before that, we hadn't suffered any power outage other than a time in November sometime when I turned off the main supply to work on something. But the stove was off, and it took about a month after that before I noticed this problem.

Tried the lamp this morning, no dimming. Called to schedule a service call. I'm thinking it might be the control board or the blower itself. Thankfully I just bought this in September so I was told even if it was because of a brownout or something beyond my control, I won't pay for it.

I just hope they schedule me soon. It seems ok now but this morning the blower was sputtering so much I thought it was going to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.