Bruiser and our Napoleon 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdrea

Mar 5, 2014
South of Boston
Been running this all weekend, 34 degrees outside and a toasty 73 inside. We heat the first floor of our house about 1600 sq feet. Nothing like the comfort of wood heat. Best decision I ever made dropping 3 grand on this stove.
DSCF1157.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: firefighterjake
I've got the freestanding version 1400PL, and so far am loving it. Haven't used an ounce of propane since it was installed! My house is smaller and can be considerably smaller if I close off the sunroom and computer room. I imagine in the depths of winter I will need some propane backup but expect very very good savings this year!

Ian

Our 14000P has been buring all weekend. This is our second year with it and we love it.

Bruiser is a happy dog. Looks like he's had a rough day.:)

Reactions: jimdrea
Looks like my dog at times! Sometimes I fear he doesn't realize how hot his fur is actually getting laying in front of my 1402! I'm only 2 months in but like some other newbies couldn't stand the bills. In my case I have a heat pump that is completely inefficient at below 30 degrees and the auxiliary electric heat takes over. I could hear my meter zipping from inside I think! Hope everyone is out stocking up! Learning a hard lesson here on how much wood I'm going to really need...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 206
Looks like my dog at times! Sometimes I fear he doesn't realize how hot his fur is actually getting laying in front of my 1402! I'm only 2 months in but like some other newbies couldn't stand the bills. In my case I have a heat pump that is completely inefficient at below 30 degrees and the auxiliary electric heat takes over. I could hear my meter zipping from inside I think! Hope everyone is out stocking up! Learning a hard lesson here on how much wood I'm going to really need...
Great picture. I have the same thermometer as you, I like were you placed yours. Based on last months oil bill my stove is saving me 30% on oil. We have programable thermostats and shut the house down when we are not in it. The stove runs all weekend long and from 4pm to 10pm each week night. I have 3 cords seasoned and hopefully they will last the winter. My dog bruiser loves to sleep right where your dog is in the picture. Yeah I worry too that he will burn himself but he loves it.

Great picture. I have the same thermometer as you, I like were you placed yours. Based on last months oil bill my stove is saving me 30% on oil. We have programable thermostats and shut the house down when we are not in it. The stove runs all weekend long and from 4pm to 10pm each week night. I have 3 cords seasoned and hopefully they will last the winter. My dog bruiser loves to sleep right where your dog is in the picture. Yeah I worry too that he will burn himself but he loves it.

I too burn evenings and all weekends. If I'm up early before work ill stock the stove before leaving. We shall see how the year ends up as far as inventory of wood goes. At the pace I'm on I will probably be short. I'm already working on next year and I'm going to really try to get 2 yrs ahead like all guys are saying I need to do. Finding out that I'm not as crazy as my ole lady says when it comes to being nuts about this stove and all the labor that it brings. Working in the corporate world it really grounds me being able to throw the carharts on and go out and do what I call "man stuff" lol.

Reactions: jimdrea
Working in the corporate world it really grounds me being able to throw the carharts on and go out and do what I call "man stuff" lol.

Amen brother!

As for dogs (and cats) I just don't know how they can sleep so close to the stove. I pick them up and their fur feels very hot next to my bare hands. Laying in front of the stove calms them until it is time to reload. Cat gets upset that I have to disturb her by moving her out of the way. How dare I not have a "cat" stove with longer burn times.....lol. Maybe that's why they call 'em cat stoves?

Status
Not open for further replies.