Brunco Identification Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brunco

Jan 7, 2024
ohio
I recently purchased a home that was built in 1987 and which has a Brunco fireplace insert (see attached picture). It appears to be working well. I can’t find any model number, serial number or other identifying information on the unit.

I’m looking for information and/or documentation on the insert and its operation. I haven’t been able to find anything on the Internet and was hoping that you may be able to assist.

fireplace2.jpeg

Remove the upper face plate and see if there is a stainless steel liner directly connected to it.

Thank you for the very quick reply! It doesn't appear to have any.

I did speak to the previous owner and he mentioned that it has a stainless steel sleeve that goes into the chimney.

Also, after taking off the faceplate and looking back into the fireplace I noticed a plate with more information on it (pictures attached).

It says it's coal burning only. Does that mean it's dangerous to be be using wood in it?

fireplace-faceplate-off.jpeg brunco-plate.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the very quick reply! It doesn't appear to have any.

I did speak to the previous owner and he mentioned that it has a stainless steel sleeve that goes into the chimney.

Also, after taking off the faceplate and looking back into the fireplace I noticed a plate with more information on it (pictures attached).

It says it's coal burning only. Does that mean it's dangerous to be be using wood in it?

View attachment 322232 View attachment 322233

Bituminous Stove size is almost wood. Unlike Anthracite, it burns with a yellow flame like wood, but smells like coal. Both you and the neighbors get to enjoy the atmosphere!

If there is a coal company near you, I would ask if they have any stove size Bit. just to try it at least once. Longer duration than wood, sooty, and not as near as clean as Anthracite. Think charcoal pencil drawing on your fingers if you touch it. Haven’t burned it since my steam traction engine days and have coveralls that still smell like it!

Bituminous Stove size is almost wood. Unlike Anthracite, it burns with a yellow flame like wood, but smells like coal. Both you and the neighbors get to enjoy the atmosphere!

If there is a coal company near you, I would ask if they have any stove size Bit. just to try it at least once. Longer duration than wood, sooty, and not as near as clean as Anthracite. Think charcoal pencil drawing on your fingers if you touch it. Haven’t burned it since my steam traction engine days and have coveralls that still smell like it!
I'll do that. Sounds interesting.

Is there any danger in burning hardwoods or pellets in this?

Coal is slower burning. The fire by this stove's design is fed primary air underneath the coal bed. A wood fire is fed air from the top (secondary ports). If burning wood, set the air control to the lowest temperature. That still may be enough as the thermostatic control goes by stove temp, not room temp. Wood is going to burn up quickly. Pellets in a stainless pellet basket might work if the mass is great enough, but still not a great setup.

Nothing should be burned in the stove until the flue system has been professionally checked out and cleaned if necessary.