Brush in pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johninwi

Burning Hunk
Aug 22, 2014
madison wisconsin
My vent is thru the existing chimney with the usual cleanout at the bottom, about 23'. Being a good stove owner i thought i'd clean the pipe and stove, the usual routine is from the bottom. All was normal till i pulled the fiberglass rods back thru the cleanout without the brush attacked. Opps. I sit there a minute or two and think, and think, swear a few times, think some more. Decide i'll see if the rods will poke out the top of the chimney, yep it will after pulling the vent cap. so the vent cap got a good cleaning too, bonus i guess. The pipe is 4" so i wander around the basement looking for something about 3" that might be attachable, nothing. Make up a 3" sheet metal disk, 1/4" hole thru the middle and a bolt thru the hole and attach it to the rod out the top. In the end the brush came out easily enough.

Moral of the story:
There are flats on the end of the fiberglass rods, they ARE ment for TIGHTENIING the brush and rods together. Finger tight really isn't correct. So i've learned my lesson.
Till i do it the next time.

Twenty three foot of stove colon and got a brush stuck. I would have had a few choice words as well. Todays temp high was a whole 4 for a high. Did all the stove cleaning last couple days so not to have to fight the cold too. Its coming your way:)

Yep, it's funny today, yesterday, not so funny.

I think we've been spoiled so far this year, i have about 8* now, believe it's the first single digits of the season.

Funny ...... but I'd be having a few choice words too ! But on the other hand, I'd be having a few choice words with myself too for being a dumb ass for not making sure the brush was fixed tight to the rod. :p

November was the 9 th coldest on record for our area so we had plenty of below 0 before we started official winter.

I got a 6" square steel brush stuck in a clay flue once, and I mean really stuck! After 4 hours 2000 swear words and a box of Band-Aids, I got it out! I ended up having to take a 6' piece of 2" square 1/4" tube that must have weighed 40# attached to some aircraft cable. Dropping it down the 25' chimney a dozen times, basically hammering the brush down to the clean out to get it out! Last time I ever used clean out rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.