btu per ton of cardboard pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2008
Wisconsin
Does anyone have an accurate evaluation of the btu's per ton of fuel pellets made from waste cardbaord?

Hear say and supposition unwelcome in this thread!

Never tried them but heard to stay away.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Never tried them but heard to stay away.

Eric

OK

note above aside.....

What did you hear???? Who? How? Why?

There is a source developing close to me 160.00 a ton and I just don't take any one salesman's word anymore!

7000-8000btu's, lots of ash (5%?). I thought there was a place in east WI on the lake doing this? Let me see if I can find that info, the corn site might have it also (I think that is where I saw it).

DQ - do they make pellets out of news paper?
This thread and the one about grain byproducts has me thinking.

Sorry

What I heard was they burned poorly, would not keep a good flame. I also heard they sooted up the side of the person's house. I do not know what stove or venting he had. This was last year and was from an unknown brand.

Eric

we had occasion to try some paper pellets once , they wouldnt feed well at all and didnt burn all that great either. i would be wary of them, the ash content is likely quite high as stated , and with the feed issues we ran into i do not think they would be a worthwile investment if the intent were to run by themselves, maybe cutting some wood pellets to stretch your supply may be doable but i wouldnt know what kind of ratio would work if they are anything like what we played with. a great concept if it can be made to work but i think they would not only clog up the stove from the high ash content , but they would be too soft to feed well.

This was the contact for cardboard pellets from back in 2007, claimed 1000+btu's. I did a quick web search, no luck. Wonder if they are out of biz?

Daniel R. Seidel
PELLET FUELS,LLC
105 Sprague Avenue
Middletown, NY
(914) 682-3131

what the heck - take a chance I say - its only money

I am on the waiting list for two ton

Ill mix it in to stretch my hi quality pellets that I already mix with corn

best part - the pellet Nazi of Wisconsin is apparently not part of the operation.

There is justice in the world!

First you hear "don't buy softwood pellets. I bought some and liked them better than hardwood.

Then you hear "you won't be able to buy pellets" and I can get them anywhere from wal-mart to my local stove shop.

Then you hear " pellets prices are going to go through the roof" and except for some people trying to make a fast buck they have stayed pretty much the same.

Hmm so if they are made of wood and are the same weight per volume as other wood pellets it sure sounds like they just may burn just like softwood or hardwood pellets to me.

Of course you could rely of what someone heard someone else say somewhere sometime, but some how that someone may not in some way known what he was talking about.

Try some you might like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.