BTU Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire
Today I weighed the wood for a batch burn on my new Jetstream. Before firing the storage bottom temperature was at 102 F and top temperature was 118 F. Burned 156 lbs old growth Douglas Fir at 15% moisture content. Stack temperature throughout gasification was 335 F. Fire out after a 9.5 hour batch burn. Bottom temp is now 184 F and top is 195 F. For duration of the burn, the draw from storage was about 5,000 BTUs per hour.
What % of potential BTU's ended up in storage?

A fun question to ask. The math is simple, but need to make some assumptions:
1) assume average start tank temperature = 110F
2) assume average end tank temperature = 190F
3) btu available from wood (20%MC, stack temp 400F) = 6,040/lb (might be 6,050, negligible effect)
4) from other postings you have a 1260 gal storage vessel

Btu's in tank = (190-110) x 1260 x 8.34 = 840,672
Btu draw = 5,000 x 9.5 = 47,500
Btu available from wood = 156 x 6,040 = 942,240

% btu in tank = 840,672 / 942,240 = 89%
% btu to draw = 47,500 / 942,240 = 5%
% conversion of available wood btu to tank + draw = 94%

I don't know how much additional btu available from wood increases as MC moves from 20% to 15%, but a lower MC should result in additional btu available, with the result being that your conversion % would decrease.

Since your stack temp was 335F vs 400F, you have about a 2% increase in available btu from wood, with the result being that your conversion % would decrease by about 2%.

Based on your numbers, and before adjustment down for MC and stack temp, 94% (could be closer to 90%) conversion is very good. My recollection is that doing a similar analysis on my Tarm with 1000 gal storage, the conversion was 86%.

Another oddity , as the woods moisture content starts to drop below 15% the heat value% to the storage also drops and the flue temperature begins to rise . I have assumed that there is not enough oxygen available too burn extra smoke generated by a more intense fire .
Thanks for the effort you put into the calculations !

After the fire was out we baked some potatoes in the hot burn chamber !

Allan

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.