btus per type of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the low down, I know it's probably been beaten to death already. the wood, Pinus edulis
better known as pinon pine. WHat's the BTU value of it. It's all I've got around here and does pretty good, just like to know the BTUvalue of it...........

fossil said:
Jerry, you graduated from UW the year I graduated from high school...so it's no wonder our Navy experiences didn't overlap. But we're shipmates just the same. The foxes are very cool. In Virginia, we had a mating pair of Barred Owls that used a nest in a hollow of a tree just across the street from our driveway. In early 2006 I followed their every move and documented the saga of their two owlets in a picture story. Animals are fun...well, some animals are. Burn pine, Jerry, don't spurn pine. Rick

I was going to comment on those foxes, too. Though cute, they don't mix well with free-range chickens. I had a red fox kill a couple of my birds a month or so ago. I had a $50 gift card for cabellas, so i ordered a little remote predator call. Yeah, you can probably see where this is going. I think I've finally decided on .223 as being the solution. Hate to do it, but I gotta protect the birds. They're also getting some electric fence, but this fox has already found where to get a tasty treat.

BTW: The red fox was introduced by British settlers, needing their european fox to hunt. It has outcompeted the native grey fox in many respects, though the greys are still holding on...in case you needed a little fun fact.

Mike from Athens said:
...I think I've finally decided on .223 as being the solution. Hate to do it, but I gotta protect the birds.

Sounds like it may come to that...if you've tried converting them with your noodly appendage without favorable result. Rick

Yeah...WWFSMD? I think he would opt for the .223 also.

Mike from Athens said:
Yeah...WWFSMD? I think he would opt for the .223 also.

I dunno...maybe a cutlass, or some sort of flintlock. In any case, you gotta save your chickens, unless the fox will pay you fair market value. Rick

Yes, my wife and I were in the Agway farm store yesterday and noticed the baby chicks including some free-range (don't remember the breed name) chicks. There was a sign touting that these chickens eat ticks. I said that's worth something, we have ticks for sure, and my wife said, the fox would eat them. Well, we weren't going to buy anyway.

We have lots of wildlife on the property and we have to take measures to keep ground hogs (especially troublesome), rabbits (cotton tails), and deer (white tail) off our plantings. Our vegetable garden is protected by a deer fence with metal fencing at the bottom and a hight voltage electric fence line. This combination works well, so far. We've found "Deer Out" works well, not perfect, on shrubs we grow around the house and nearby. The deer are the main problem there. So, our set-up and needs are compatible with fox. They are reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.