Buck 18 in zero clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
My brother just purchased a used buck 18 to install in a zero clearance fire place. ZC has triple wall with an air gap he has 6" SS liner does the liner need to be insulated all the way or just top and bottom? The chimney is around 17' wood framed external.

My brother just purchased a used buck 18 to install in a zero clearance fire place. ZC has triple wall with an air gap he has 6" SS liner does the liner need to be insulated all the way or just top and bottom? The chimney is around 17' wood framed external.
What zero clearance fireplace is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
it is a Heatilator not sure what model. I was told by a buck dealer it is approved for Preway and Heatilator.

it is a Heatilator not sure what model. I was told by a buck dealer it is approved for Preway and Heatilator.
Yes but the fireplace manufacter also has to approve that fireplace for inserts. Some heatilators allow inserts some do not.

Is there anyway to find that information on line? When my father bought his the dealer no longer in business asked for the Preway model number and verified it. He told us to pack rock wool top and bottom between the triple wall air gap and the liner was this correct?

Is there anyway to find that information on line? When my father bought his the dealer no longer in business asked for the Preway model number and verified it. He told us to pack rock wool top and bottom between the triple wall air gap and the liner was this correct?
Are you talking about the air gap between the inner and outer wall? Is so no doing so is extremely dangerous that needs to stay open. If you are talking about the gap between the liner and chimney it isn't right but not dangerous. But I don't know of any preway fireplace that allows inserts to be installed in them. Do you have the model number?

I am talking about the gap between the liner and the chimney. I don't remember the model number on the preway. I do remember the the shop owner looking in a book and saying the Buck 18 is the only one that will fit and was approved he had some kind of spec sheet. I will ask dad if he still has it.

Here is what the Buck 18 manual says

The Model 18 may be installed into any UL listed prefabricated fireplace that is large enough to accept it. MINIMUM CLEARANCES Except for “note(s)”, follow masonry installation clearances found in your operations manual. INSTALLATION PREPARATION Pre-Fab Zero Clearance Fireplace 1. Relocate furniture and other materials away from front of fireplace to allow free access to fireplace. 2. Cover hearth and adjacent floor areas with drop cloths to protect from soiling or marring surface. 3. Remove existing fireplace damper plate/damper rod assembly. 4. Thoroughly clean fireplace of ashes and soot. 5. Check chimney and smoke chamber for excessive buildup of creosote or soot. Also, check for obstructions, such as birds nests. If chimney is excessively dirty, clean it or have someone clean it professionally BEFORE installing or using the room heater. 6. The Ash Lip, Smoke Baffle and Smoke Shelf may also be removed, if necessary, to provide room for Model 18. Any other alteration to unit will void ALL New Buck Corporation responsibility and liability. The WARNING label below must be attached to the back of fireplace. NOTE: Plug power cord into a 115 VAC outlet. Route the cord to prevent damage to cord insulation from heat and sharp objects. Keep cord out of the way of traffic to prevent damage caused by tripping, etc. WARNING: This fireplace must be restored to its original condition for safe use, if fireplace insert is removed.

I am talking about the gap between the liner and the chimney. I don't remember the model number on the preway. I do remember the the shop owner looking in a book and saying the Buck 18 is the only one that will fit and was approved he had some kind of spec sheet. I will ask dad if he still has it.
You need to read the manual for the fireplace and see if an insert is allowed. It does not matter what buck says. If the fireplace manufacturer says you can't do it you can't do it.

Here is what the Buck 18 manual says

The Model 18 may be installed into any UL listed prefabricated fireplace that is large enough to accept it. MINIMUM CLEARANCES Except for “note(s)”, follow masonry installation clearances found in your operations manual. INSTALLATION PREPARATION Pre-Fab Zero Clearance Fireplace 1. Relocate furniture and other materials away from front of fireplace to allow free access to fireplace. 2. Cover hearth and adjacent floor areas with drop cloths to protect from soiling or marring surface. 3. Remove existing fireplace damper plate/damper rod assembly. 4. Thoroughly clean fireplace of ashes and soot. 5. Check chimney and smoke chamber for excessive buildup of creosote or soot. Also, check for obstructions, such as birds nests. If chimney is excessively dirty, clean it or have someone clean it professionally BEFORE installing or using the room heater. 6. The Ash Lip, Smoke Baffle and Smoke Shelf may also be removed, if necessary, to provide room for Model 18. Any other alteration to unit will void ALL New Buck Corporation responsibility and liability. The WARNING label below must be attached to the back of fireplace. NOTE: Plug power cord into a 115 VAC outlet. Route the cord to prevent damage to cord insulation from heat and sharp objects. Keep cord out of the way of traffic to prevent damage caused by tripping, etc. WARNING: This fireplace must be restored to its original condition for safe use, if fireplace insert is removed.
Yes I know many stove manufacturers say similar things. But very few fireplace manufacturers allow it. And the second you remove the damper the fireplace is no longer a listed appliance because you modified it. Because of that you are no longer installing the insert into a ul listed fireplace. So all liability and responsibility falls directly upon the installer unless both the stove and chimney manufacturer allow for it.

Look around the door frame for a tag indicating the manufacturer's model number.

It may be perfectly fine in the heatilator. Many of their newer units are approved for inserts.

I will find out on the heatilator and try to find a model number and book not to worried about the preway it has had the Buck in it going on 12 years no issues the house maybe up for sale in the next year or 2 and the buck and liner will come out damper will go back in. My main question is if this is allowed to be installed in the heatilator what is proper way to install the liner with or with out insulation?

I will find out on the heatilator and try to find a model number and book not to worried about the preway it has had the Buck in it going on 12 years no issues the house maybe up for sale in the next year or 2 and the buck and liner will come out damper will go back in. My main question is if this is allowed to be installed in the heatilator what is proper way to install the liner with or with out insulation?
I refuse to install any liner without insulation. If the chimney is installed properly it isnt required for safety reasons. But that chimney is air cooled. You dont want your liner to be air cooled also

I agree with you on the insulation on the liner now I have to convince my brother. I am really glad I have masonry fireplace don't have to deal with the prefab problems.

ok I found out its a heatilator E39 with SL300 chimney I can not confirm that the heatilator is rated for an insert. I have found several post with Heatilator E36 E39 and E42 with ZC's in them several stated the SL chimney is approved for a liner. Any truth to this?