Buck 74 vs Jotul c450 vs Timberwolf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GusNC

Oct 27, 2015
Eastern North Carolina
Hello!
First time posting. I live in eastern NC so the winters are not brutal. I'm looking to augment my heating bill. As the title says I'm looking at a Buck 74, as the users on this forum seem to like it. I've located a Jotul c450 on Craigslist and I like the way it looks at least. I've also seen the Timberwolf epi22 and heard great things. I have a ranch style new construction with a masonry fireplace, 2400 sq ft and a 400 sq foot bonus room upstairs on the far end of the house. Price points are $1000 for a used Jotul up to 2300ish on the equipped Buck stove of my choosing. Any experience you guys have between the different models is appreciated. Thanks !!

For a few $100 more you can get a New Buck.. a friend just sold an older Buck Cat stove for $400 yesterday...

Well the Buck I priced today was $1600 for the model 74 plus $200 for the surround $200 for the blower plus tax and it priced out around $2300. I really liked it. I like the fact it's made in NC. I was wondering how they stack against a Jotul being I could get in a used one for half. Thanks

From all I've read the Buck 74 is a solid workhorse. It is larger than the C450 and should heat the place quite well. If you are trying to save some change maybe consider installing it without the surround.

Prob can't go wrong w/ either. C450 is supposed to be very good heater and you don't hear complaints abut the Buck. I think Mellow ran both the c450 and a Buck. Would be a good source.

I've seen lots of good stuff on the Buck in this forum for sure. Having someone who's ran both would be awesome. Like you say, the Jotul seems to have a good rep. Thanks so far for the input

Depending on the size of your fireplace I would go with the Buck 91 if you are looking to heat 2400 sq feet and are spending the money on a new insert, that is hands down one of the best inserts Buck makes. If you are looking to heat a room or two the c450 will do the job but don't expect much more from it past 1200 sq feet.

Check with the guys at http://servicesales.com/ , they get used Buck 91 trade ins from time to time and they are very knowledagble on the product, ask for Matt.

Reactions: Fastdonzi
I haven't been through a full Burn season but the few fires I've had really impressed me.. Last night for instance, Before bed ( 10;00 pm ) I put 3 medium splits on a bed of coals, this morning when I got up at 5:30 the stove was still 250*- 300*, The Cat had long been off but the fan was on and it was blowing usable heat... Cant ask for much better without getting in to Alien Technology :)

Sweet, nice find.

Status
Not open for further replies.