Buck 74ZC Or other zero clearance insert???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

euel.ross

Nov 22, 2020
Cloudcroft, NM
Hey guys,
We are about to buy a home that currently has a zero clearance fire place in it. I want to put something in that is more efficient and puts out more heat than just a fireplace. I recently found the Buck 74ZC at tractor supply. Does anybody know anything about these? Will they heat good? The home is 1400sq. Ft. It’s either find a good zero clearance insert or tear the wall out and put a free standing in. If I can find a good insert, will be a lot less work to go that route. Attached is a picture of what the fireplace looks like now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

CC093078-DBB8-411C-AB2E-B8487C4D8E6A.png

It's usually not a lot less work. Replacing a ZC fireplace with another takes some careful measuring and then a fair amount of work. To remove the old ZC access has to be achieved either from the front or rear. Then the old ZC needs to be removed, chimney system first. The old chimney most likely won't work with the new fireplace. Then, once the old unit is out, the new unit needs to be fitted in place with new chimney pipe. Then the face needs to patched.

Thanks. Yea after some more research, I’m finding it’s not as easy as I though. I think I will probably tear the whole fireplace out, reframe the corner and just put a free standing stove in. Thanks fo let the reply.