Buck 91 vs Buck 94NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkk

Dec 28, 2014
Northern Ohio
Looking for a big insert to replace my old VC Winterwarm cat insert. Looking for a bigger insert and keeping with a cat does not bother me but am not committed to staying with one either.

Called Kuma Ohio dealer and they sold the Sequoia "floor" model and will not have another to view until after March1, 2015. I want to view the unit before leaping.

Went to view the Buck 91 at the dealer and was surprised that they were stronger on the 94NC than the 91, due to the simplicity of the non-cat 94NC. Inspecting the two, the 94NC is certainly easier to use but 75% vs. 86% efficiency (91)is hard to overlook. The dealer spoke highly of not having to deal with the cat but I am concerned with loosing longer burn times that the 91 should produce.

Any comments on the difference in burn times of the two units and any on the difficulty of inspecting/replacing of the 91 cat as it looks cumbersome?

I looked at both the 91 and the 94 last year. Both were identical except for the 94 had a baffle and no bypass or cat of course. Got the 91 at the recomendation of the dealer. He said he played with the 94 in the showroom and was not impressed with the performance at all. I got the 91 as an insert and love it.

Thanks for the comments as I see a lot of support for the 91 but little or no meaningful discussions on the 94NC. The dealer did seem to be supporting the 94 due to the ease of use compared to training non-cat customers on the use of a cat stove. Having 86% efficiency is enticing, hoping to have a larger stove but actually using less wood than I am now with the aging VC Winterwarm Large insert? We will see if it is reality.

I do want to see the Kuma before I decide but the only Ohio dealer will not have another unit in his shop until March. The Kuma being a western stove does not have the dealer force in the east.

Status
Not open for further replies.