Buck it up or leave it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is a good size quaking aspen and on the other side it drops off real quick, is there any good way of bucking this up plus stop it from rolling down the hill.

I have some chains plus tow straps also the winch on the rhino.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0523.jpg
    100_0523.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 674
I would cut it into smaller pieces where the wench can handle it and get it to flatter ground.

smokinjay said:
I would cut it into smaller pieces where the wench can handle it and get it to flatter ground.

3000 pound winch on the rhino and I think by hooking up a tree saver with a snatch block and change your pulling direction I can double the pulling weight. Would six foot sections be light enough.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

3000 pound winch on the rhino and I think by hooking up a tree saver with a snatch block and change your pulling direction I can double the pulling weight. Would six foot sections be light enough.

zap
6000lb thats good you should be a able to snatch 8-10 foot and be well under 6000lbs. I snatch a 17ft ash tree about 18in. with a boat hand wench.

I use a 4,000 pound warn works winch to drag 60 foot, 15-18 inch diam pines to the road for bucking when needed. most times uphill. a cord of pine weighs about 4,500 pounds green, so one tree plus resistance dont faze the winch.

Even a come-along and a nearby tree for an anchor would be enough.

I would worry about something dragging my Rhino around.

PINEBURNER said:
I use a 4,000 pound warn works winch to drag 60 foot, 15-18 inch diam pines to the road for bucking when needed. most times uphill. a cord of pine weighs about 4,500 pounds green, so one tree plus resistance dont faze the winch.

What is your winch attached to?

zap

That winch slides into any 2" reciever, usually attach it to the side of my dump trailer, and connect to the hydraulics battery. Custom built side recievers and mounting plate for the winch.

I vote for zap for wood scrounge hall of fame.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

x2. Zap does an awesome job. No wood goes to waste on his watch.

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Thanks woodbutcher, my wife thinks I'm losing it. I have the sickness! :zip:

zap

Skier76 said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

x2. Zap does an awesome job. No wood goes to waste on his watch.

Skier I often wonder if I would freeze if I had to drop trees. :coolgrin:

Thanks
Zap

I think you've got it perfect! why drop em when they seem to be dieying to make it to your wood pile as it is! let them do some of the work for you!

you might have 6000lbs of winch but you have a 1300lbs Rhino. I also had a 3000lbs winch on my Rhino when I sold it. Fun stuff.

IPLUMB said:
you might have 6000lbs of winch but you have a 1300lbs Rhino. I also had a 3000lbs winch on my Rhino when I sold it. Fun stuff.

The first year with the rhino I never used the winch but that changed the past two years. I'll get the chains ready then post some pictures when I do it.

I also have a 2.5 - 5 ton tuf-tug come a long.

http://www.tuf-tug.com/cw1.htm

zap

Maybe a little hard wheeled cart for the winch that you can chain to a big tree for the bigger logs?

I hate to see any wood just waste away in the woods if it's still good . . . I'd say cut it up . . . if worried you use the winch and haul it closer.

Start cutting from the top. That should pose no problem of rolling down a hill. Then use one or two of the short small stuff that you've cut to put against the log to stop it from rolling. Start bucking, again, from the top down (you may have to block the whole thing now so it doesn't roll and you can just use some that you've cut from the top to do that). Stand on the downhill side and place your left leg and foot against the log you are cutting. When you've cut through, stand that on end so it won't roll. Just work your way to the butt like this and it will be faster than winching. Another method is to cut into 4' sections and use a cant hook to roll them to where they won't roll downhill or simply turn them so they won't roll after you cut into firewood length.

That might sound worse than it is but in the long run it will take a lot less time and is not any harder work.

Backwoods Savage said:
Start cutting from the top. That should pose no problem of rolling down a hill. Then use one or two of the short small stuff that you've cut to put against the log to stop it from rolling. Start bucking, again, from the top down (you may have to block the whole thing now so it doesn't roll and you can just use some that you've cut from the top to do that). Stand on the downhill side and place your left leg and foot against the log you are cutting. When you've cut through, stand that on end so it won't roll. Just work your way to the butt like this and it will be faster than winching. Another method is to cut into 4' sections and use a cant hook to roll them to where they won't roll downhill or simply turn them so they won't roll after you cut into firewood length.

That might sound worse than it is but in the long run it will take a lot less time and is not any harder work.

Sav thanks, I'll have to take a run back in and see how steep it is on the down hill side, also on the down hill side I can get there by rhino so letting it roll down might be a option.

zap

If you use the winch secure the rhino or pulley the load around a large tree to handle the weight.

Tony H said:
If you use the winch secure the rhino or pulley the load around a large tree to handle the weight.

Tony I bucked the rounds 14.75 inches, then we winched them up after so it would be easier.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.