Buck model 51

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph015

Nov 26, 2010
SW PA
Can anyone give me any information about the buck stove model 51. It looks like it may be the predecessor to a 74. Any good/bad comments as I am thinking about adding a second stove to completely eliminate the gas. thank you

Hey, I have this stove - it's my sole heat source for a 900 sf cabin I live in year round. Not sure what information you're looking for, but here's my experience:

1. Fires start up easily and burn hot.
2. Generally I am not able to adjust heat output by much - it burns hot or a little less hot, unless the fire is dying down generally.
3. That said, it's too big for my space, and I'm replacing it this year. While it burns well when I have a lot of fuel in it, it also burns too hot for 900 sf when it has a lot of fuel in it. Consequently, I tend to keep little fuel in it to keep temperatures down, and obviously that's not ideal.
4. I'm probably not the best person to speak to burn times because I can't fill the box without heating myself out of the house. It's rare I don't have to remake the fire in the morning, but again, I don't fill it at night.

If you have specific questions let me know. For my application is an average appliance, but the wrong one. Nothing about it blows me away; I have a Jotul 602 in my workshop that allows for much better temperature control and longer burn times. I will be replacing the Buck stove with a Jotul.

Status
Not open for further replies.