Buck Stove Model 81 or other recommendations? Anyone care to comment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydee

Apr 11, 2010
north GA
Hi -

I'm a newbie who's done a lot of lurking but will be getting ready to buy in the next few months.

Buck Stove is a good local brand in north Georgia and I am thinking of going with model 81, which boasts heating up to 2700 sq. ft, has 4500 BTU/hr (as per EPA) and a 2.4 cu. ft firebox.

I have a 2250 square foot ranch, and a central masonry fireplace. I'll probably have a stove installed instead of an insert to get a bit more heat out of it.

I'm a bit limited on front clearance because the hearth is 18 inches wide and I don't want to add extra hearth space.

I would like to hear any other people who either have a Buck (general comments) or specifically a model 81.

Or if there is another brand that fits the bill, would love to know. I've investigated Lopi Declaration insert among others. I'm more interested in heat output than pretty at the moment. Would love to have both...sigh. And I work full-time, so I'm not home to play with the fire all day, and need it to heat up quick when I return. Which I think lets out soapstone.

Thanks for any comments. Here's a photo of the future location of one woodburning stove or insert.

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 619
My brother has the Buck 81 insert and loves it. It's a very well built stove. I have a Lopi freedom Bay and love it as well. Both company's make very fine inserts, and stoves.

It's up to you to find the one that fit's your needs...

That Buck will get it done. And they are high quality stoves.

Both the height of the fireplace opening and the fact that you apparently aren't interested in extending the hearth really starts pointing to insert to me. A good, well-sized insert will keep you good and warm. Rick

My installer said that too but I don't understand what makes an insert better, could you explain? So many of them stick out onto the hearth. The height of the fireplace (opening) is about 30 inches. The Buck can be stove or insert

I went from a monster insert to a free standing stove in the fireplace and would never go back. Get that bad boy and a blower and rock and roll.

It's not a question of "better", it's a question of what will fit into your particular situation/configuration. If you want a hearth stove installation, which is basically a freestanding stove standing proud of, or shoved partially into, your fireplace, then the stove and the stovepipe arrangement has to work to make that happen...and you have to have the required hearth/floor protection. Without extending your hearth out into the room, or otherwise protecting the floor in front of the hearth, you can't make it work. An insert might be an easier fit, given all the requirements for clearances. It ain't simple until it's done and burning. Rick

What is the height of the opening of your fireplace?

The height is 30 inches. Or 30.75 because the masonry dips down slightly at the edge of the hearth.

Thanks for all your help. Yes, the main thing is the fit. If I have to, I will have work done to extend the hearth so that there are more options, but I'm trying to keep to a budget plus am not sure how the old stonework would match up to new stone. The hearth is 11 inches off the floor, so I guess it would be a matter of having a lower "step" if I add on.

Definitely partial to the stove idea from a functional standpoint but hesitant about how it will look. The nice thing about Buck Stove is that you can always make it an insert at a later date. At least, I think so - the only possible problem might be how far the front would have to come out onto the hearth in that case.

Buck Stove costs a lot less than the Lopi Declaration, I think. Another point in favor of the Buck. But the Buck isn't as nice in design.

Someone on the site purchased a buck and didnt use the shroud, maybe you can have it sort of partially in and not have to mess with your hearth and still make the clearances. BTW, he was very happy with his Buck stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.