Buck ZC 51 model, drafty air.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Turner87

Mar 4, 2015
Indiana
I bought my house three years ago, it came with a Buck ZC51 stove. The stove it self does great. I just have a draft coming from the top air vents. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this issue. I don't really want to pull the stove out but if I have to I will. My house is a TK built, it had a place for a fireplace but the original owners installed the wood stove instead.

I bought my house three years ago, it came with a Buck ZC51 stove. The stove it self does great. I just have a draft coming from the top air vents. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this issue. I don't really want to pull the stove out but if I have to I will. My house is a TK built, it had a place for a fireplace but the original owners installed the wood stove instead.
Here is a picture of the stove

Attachments

• IMG_20140502_205149_108.jpg
    IMG_20140502_205149_108.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 177
Install manual https://www.buckstove.com/manuals/rmanuals/Model-51ZC-Cabinet-Manual-(01 10 2013)-JG-TM.pdf

Don't know if you chimney chase is insulated correctly on this, take a look at the manual, those top vents shouldn't be blocked in any way, it lets ambient air to circulated, allowing it to be "air cooled" on the outside jacket, but there's a sheet rock block off plate installed with metal fire stop shield to keep cold air from drafting down the chimney sides.

Install manual https://www.buckstove.com/manuals/rmanuals/Model-51ZC-Cabinet-Manual-(01 10 2013)-JG-TM.pdf

Don't know if you chimney chase is insulated correctly on this, take a look at the manual, those top vents shouldn't be blocked in any way, it lets ambient air to circulated, allowing it to be "air cooled" on the outside jacket, but there's a sheet rock block off plate installed with metal fire stop shield to keep cold air from drafting down the chimney sides.
The chase looks to be insulated, the vents are open and aren't blocked. Although I did think about blocking them but I figured they are there for a reason. I'm not sure about the fire stop I've never looked up the chase. I guess I'll take the sides off and see if I can see up it. The original owners left me the manual to the stove, I looked it over a few times. I was just seeing if anyone else has had this issue. How hard is it to remove this type of stove if it comes down to doing that.

Honestly I have no clue due to builders using different techniques or construction styles, if it does come down to and air sealing issue I would prob attack it from the outside (assuming that you have a chimney chase going up the outside of your house) also if it is on the outside right now you can go and look at the bottom plate, if there are gaps add some caulk to seal it up.