buckeye and elder?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
Either one of these worth cutting for firewood?

It all depends upon your needs. I would burn either one but they are not my favorites.

I am burning box elder right now.It was cut, split and stacked a year ago.Nothing great but perfect for this time of year when I just want a little fire for a few hours to take the chill off.I burn about a cord of it each year.

I've got some box elder, was told it was in the same class as Mulberry but not knowing the truth until I got home. But I c/s/s back in Aprilish, when wet its very heavy, but it dries out very light. I've been burning it this fall, and have about a 2/3 of a cord of it. Its great to start the fire with, and burns ok. Would I get anymore, probably not, unless I absolutely had to. My splits where nasty, being twisted, curling, and anything but straight. It just made my stacking interesting. But did I mention it burns. :zip:

I would pass on both, especially the buckeye.

Status
Not open for further replies.