Bucking tulip poplar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Just got done bucking up four tulip poplars that we had taken down along the property line with a nice neighbor (three on our side, BIG one on hers). The largest was at least 36" diameter, my 20" bar barely made it through when coming at it from two sides. The tree service left the logs stacked on one another in the lengths that they could handle with the crane, some almost 20' long, wedged into tight spaces in the yard. It was interesting- very heavy), but got it done, all in 16" lengths (and under) ready to split.

The center of one was purple (second picture). Wonder what causes this?

Logs.jpg
Woodcutting1.jpg
Woodcutting3.jpg

I've seen some gnarly purple fungus fruiting in the sapwood of some hickory rounds I bucked. (Saw a lot of bright orange fungi too) Nature makes some cool stuff.

i have heard that it is a fungal infection that causes boxelder to do the same staining (red/flame). i wonder if it is the same thing with this tree. might be worth checking into. you could possibly sell that log to a hobby sawyer or woodworker. tulip is worth far more as lumber than firewood IMO.

This is another wood that does not get the credit it deserves.

It may not pack the btu punch that oak/hickory does, but it is a useful wood. New burners can cut it one winter and use it the next, it splits easily, and has more btu's than the charts give it in my opinion.

Plus, I frequently find morel mushrooms around tulip poplar.

I’ve just begun burning around a half cord of tulip that I scrounged this past early spring, I cut and split it early June. I like it so far. It seems to burn a bit like maple. Come late December I’ll burn my harder woods. It splits nice and dried quickly over the summer. Nearly all the bark fell off when I moved it in October.

i have heard that it is a fungal infection that causes boxelder to do the same staining (red/flame). i wonder if it is the same thing with this tree. might be worth checking into. you could possibly sell that log to a hobby sawyer or woodworker. tulip is worth far more as lumber than firewood IMO.
Too late!

Every time I start bucking up a nice log, I have a slight twinge of regret, as I know how valuable the lumber would be. The feeling is long gone by the time I'm done warming my feet by the fire.

In honor of this thread, I just broke out the electric 5T splitter and restocked the kindling stand with a few more armloads of my dry poplar...

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
im burning 1 year old tulip poplar with the occasional piece of oak and the house is about 75

Status
Not open for further replies.