Buckstove model 51 versus napolean 1401 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie 08

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2008
Central Indiana
I am ready to buy an insert and have the option of buying one of these 2 stoves as a really good deal off of a floor model. Both will fit my fireplace no problem. The Napolean is 2.25 cubic feet firebox and the buck is 2.6 cubic feet. Both seem very simliar and are epa certified. We are leaning towards the buck because of the bigger firebox should allow for longer burn times. Thoughts on either of these models?

I have heated with a 1401 for 11 years with excellent results. The Napoleon stoves, I think, are the only ones who use a secondary manifold that runs from back to front that blows out from the center to the sides, creating a swirling effect and a very clean burn. Secondary blows across the surface of the top refractory panels, which glow red hot and often looks like flames shooting out of the secondary.

I can't speak about the Buckstove.

Dan

I can't speak for the napolean, but I have one of Buckstoves' classics. If they still make 'em as good as yesterday, you won't be dissapointed. This son-of-a-gun is like a rock. Check out their website, too. Buckstoves.com. You won't find too many (if any) on Hearth.com that own a Buckstove.

I looked at a Napoleon 1400 freestanding stove and found one thing I did not like. The fire box has a heavy gauge metal front, top, and part of the side walls, but the rear wall and the remaining part of the side walls were 3/16" plate or smaller. This somewhat concerned me, even though it has a proven track record. Next time you look at the Napoleon stove and the Buck compare the fire box wall thickness. Also look at the overall weight of the stove. My intention is not to bad mouth the Napoleon stove, it is merely my observation.

aussieblake

I'm interested to hear from people why they think the Napoleon is not more popular.

Interesting comments about the thickness of the steel. That prompted me to check it out. The top plate on my Napoleon 1401 is 1/4" steel. I toured the factory in Toronto where the 1401 is made, and know that they take the scrap cut from the door opening and weld it to the inside top of the top plate, to make the thickness just under a half-inch where the fire is the hottest.

I measured the steel of the box. The steel in the front measures at 3/16". The front is a part that's bent and wrapped around the rest of the firebox to create air channels on each side, feeding the airwash. I don't know what the thickness of the rest of the firebox is. I would guess it's 3/16".

Dan

BTW: As far as burn times go, with my 1401, I load up the firebox about every 8-9 hours, having plenty of coals to restart. I'm burning part hickory at the moment and I'm finding that I could go longer than 9 hours if I wanted to.

newbie 08 said:
so why does no one here own a new buckstove? The newer epa certified ones seems just as good as any other. I just dont see much them.

I don't own one because the local dealer is a jerk.

newbie 08 said:
why do neither of these stoves have a damper? Just one air control?

Actually the Napoleon sort-of has two controls. One is the door. On a cold start, by leaving the door latch slightly open, you dump air into the firebox all around the door gasket. Then when the temp is up a little, and the draft is established, you latch the door down tight, leaving the main control as the only throttle.

As for a damper, the newer airtight stoves have no need for one since they are able to control the fire from the intake side. Plus, you don't have any risk of dampering it down too much and spewing smoke into the room. The newer stoves always run with a slight negative pressure inside, so if they leak at all, they're sucking in fresh air rather than puking smoke into the room.

Dan

Can't comment specifically on the Buck 51, but I do own a Buck 81 insert, which is similar (I think the Model 51 has a slightly larger wood capacity). I have been very pleased with the 81. It provides plenty of heat for our house (1800) sq. ft. and burns very clean- chimney sweep suggests he clean my chimney every other year, not enough creasote/ash to justify annual cleaning. Stove also heats up fast- have a temp gauge at the top of the door and can get temp up to 400 - 500 in no time with good, dry wood. Also get long burn times- can load stove full around 10:00 pm, and at 6:00 am fan is still running and there are plenty of coals for easy start. Only negative I can note is that I don't seem to get the dramatic secondary burn others have reported. I am sure secondary burn is occurring as there is almost never any smoke leaving the chimney. Just don't see the dramatic visual effects of secondary burn others report. This may have more to do with chimney draft rather than with the stove. Both stoves have good reputations- either should be good choices. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought the buck stove for 400 off the regular price. They are coming out to look over things to prepare for the instal tomorrow and then we will set it up for the next week or two. Hope I made the right choice. I bought at the right time of year to get a deal but now I am going to have to wait 8 months to try it out most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.