Bug id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aranyic

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2015
Ohio
Cut down a couple of what I am was told are ash trees that were well on the way out being tore up by wood peckers trying to get the bugs out.

Had the first 70 degree day since and my wood pile where I am splitting and stacking it exploded with these bugs. Looking them up they look like Locust borers does that make sense? Was the tree miss id'd early on?

a1f8bbea67d0a1ab7521856627a2a94d.jpg

7e28375061a3e12dfb3f28a91b975cb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The tracks on the ash trees are made by the emerald ash borer. Hopefully you don't have many of these trees on your property because they will all be infested and will die. The bug in your picture did not cause that damage that the wood pecker were going for. Not sure what the bug is but I have seen them before.

Husky is 100% correct. EAB is killing them all up here. I've been splitting a bunch. Bark falls off revels trails all over the wood.

Apparently on some reading those things will give a nasty little bite. May have to see if I can treat it with something to try and keep it under control? Or just get though the splitting of that stuff and ignore it at this point?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.