Buggy wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I still have about 3 cords of wood to cut a little and split, about 1/2 cord is ash, when I grabbed the logs to cut them up I noticed they're loaded with bugs, ugly grey bugs, I cut and split and the wood seems fine, the bark fell right off so I assume the rain and moisture got to the bark.
Anyone else run into this problem? Im going to see if I can find what kind of bug it is through google.

They are high protein and high BTUs !!! Wait for a good freeze, they will be dead, and burn those suckers.

Shawn

Earlier this week I was splitting a bunch of rounds that had been stacked since early summer. Water oak and post oak. The water oak was full of big white, red headed grubs, burrowed down deep in the center. Some of the rounds of the Post oak had a lot of big red ants in the interior. I tossed those splits into my reject pile. I didn't worry about the grubs.

Anything to worry about with either of these?

I think the bark falling of rounds is normal. I had some in the woods for about 1 year and all the bark fell off. I also had some sitting on me driveway for about 2-3 months and it fell off while I was splitting. I heard here that burnt bark makes lots of ashes, so it's better that it is off anyway. there is a company that sells bark less wood for more money, so I think you are all set.

wannabegreener said:
I think the bark falling of rounds is normal. I had some in the woods for about 1 year and all the bark fell off. I also had some sitting on me driveway for about 2-3 months and it fell off while I was splitting. I heard here that burnt bark makes lots of ashes, so it's better that it is off anyway. there is a company that sells bark less wood for more money, so I think you are all set.

That barkless wood is for the city folk who dont want to mess their condo, I see it advertised in the Boston area for double what we pay for a regular cord.

weatherguy said:
That barkless wood is for the city folk who dont want to mess their condo, I see it advertised in the Boston area for double what we pay for a regular cord.
I say save your money and do what I do; Kick the bark under the recliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.