Q&A Bugs in Wood..and leaving stove unattended

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm presently installing a Jotul Firelight in a 1600 sq ft townhouse in the suburbs of Washington DC and wanted to know about how much wood I would need for winter and if it is ok to store it inside the house(would seasoned wood have bugs?) Also my neighbor has a Vermont Castings which she leaves on when leaving home, will I be able to do that with the firelight too

Answer:

Bugs could be in any wood, but basement or utility room storage is usually OK as long as your are continually burning/moving the wood. You can also dust the area around the wood with a little insect killer. As far as leaving the stove on...No Problem...The stove is safe..I assume you have a correct installation and chimney..

Status
Not open for further replies.